Thread poster: LoG
LoG
Germany
Local time: 12:02
German to French
+ ...
Apr 17, 2008

Hello,

What maximum size should a word-file have to be aligned in WinAlign (SDL 2006)?

I have 2 files with 5 MB and Winalign crahes...:-(

Thanks

Direct link Reply with quote

Anna Sylvia Villegas Carvallo
Mexico
Local time: 05:02
English to Spanish
Maybe? Apr 18, 2008

Maybe too many pictures and graphics on them?

Delete all of them, and then use WinAlign. You'll only need the TM with text.

Barbara Wiegel  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Same problem the other day - Winalign kept crashing Apr 18, 2008

Hi,

I had the same problem the other day, although my GER and ENG files were only about 1 MB in size. There were, however, approx. 160 pages (MS Word) with lots of formatting (line breaks, tabs etc.). No pictures, though.
It was not possible to align the project in its entirety, i.e. two 160 page files. I first split them into two 80 page files for each language and, when this crashed the application too, I went for four 40 page files which worked.
I got the impression that the Winalign crash was not about the file size but about the "density of content" (if you will).
When I worked on the 40 page files afterwards and needed to split segments or join them, it took a while for each of these commands to be performed (say, 10-20 seconds) whereas, when you have smaller files (only a couple of pages), it takes only a second or not even that. It was quite tiresome...

But as this was an important project from the times before I used CAT tools, I bit the bullet and went through with the alignment - it took me a whole day to finish it...

Hope this somehow helped...

Best,
Barbara

[Edited at 2008-04-18 04:39]

LoG
Germany
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
no pictures and no graphics! Apr 21, 2008

Tadzio Carvallo wrote:

Maybe too many pictures and graphics on them?

Delete all of them, and then use WinAlign. You'll only need the TM with text.

The word files contain only one colonn and many cells with short texts!

LoG
Germany
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Only Solution: split the file? Apr 21, 2008

Hello Barbara,

It seems to be the only solution to align the file... I agree with you as you say: I got the impression that the Winalign crash was not about the file size but about the "density of content"!!!

What a bummer!

Thank you for your answers!

Georgina Pacey

Spanish to English
Any more efficient solutions? Oct 28, 2014

Has anyone been able to come up with a better solution then just halving the document? I have even had to quarter it before to get it to work, and I feel like i'm wasting time.

I also find that some times the loading bar gets to half way and stays there for a while (10-20 minutes) then it does eventually work, but I don't have the patience/time to wait for longer than 20 minutes.

The documents I translate tend to have a lot of tables (simple ones) and words, so there are no graphics etc (they are usually financial statements).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Maximum file size in WinAlign

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs