Mobile menu

upgrading to trados 2007?
Thread poster: Elisa Côté
Elisa Côté
English to French
+ ...
Apr 18, 2008

He everyone,
I'm wondering since few weeks if I should upgrade to SDL Trados 2007 freelance from SDL Trados 2006 freelance ?

The thing is I use XP on a new computer that had Office 2007 installed and Trados 2006 doest not work with it so I dowgraded to Office 2003 but ... I kind of liked Office 2007

But I dont want to upgrade Trados if the new version is slower then 2006, you know what I mean ?

As it is 100$ , I wanna be sure I will enjoy the 2007 version

Thank you for your comments

[Edited at 2008-04-18 16:05]

[Edited at 2008-04-18 16:06]

Direct link Reply with quote

Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:23
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
same here Apr 18, 2008

I wonder if it worth the money. Trados is always offering upgrades, very expensive BTW, but. several bugs remain.

What about internal links (bookmarks) in the document? Can new versions work fine with it?
Regarding the font changes (namely, font size decrease) when translating a PowerPoint file using Tageditor?
And when translating, a big Word.doc file (well, not that big) and suddenly Workbench says something like "sorry, .rft format is not recognized" (It happens very frequently, it happened twice today, and in facto I'm righting here because I was upset with that bug and trados)... Has this bug been fixed?
And that annoying bug of "Visual basic”, which -sometimes- does not allow me to use Term Recognition with Workbench, what has happened to it?
Also, I would like to run QA checker, but a run-time error 7 appears saying "Out of memory" but I have a new PC, and I know there is enough memory?
What about spelling checkers? If I need to use the Wintertree spelling checker, it fails to recognize the Spanish variant I use, and there is no cyberplace to find how can I change the dictionary file names so I could use Wintertree, And the Word spelling checker works only sometimes. It could work right now, but in the next segment will fail (if I close the file & Tageditor, and open them again, the problem is solved, yes).

Last year, I lost a 65.000 translation units memory while I was reorganizing it (the reorganization failed at about translation unit 62.500 ). I’ve seen that a couple of translators reported that bug, at the same translation unit.

Besides, I've been told that the newest SDLX-Trados have been designed for Vista, the worst OS system I've ever seen (I bought a laptop with Vista and I had to eliminate it because it didn't work at all!). A very slow Operative System + a very low Trados, I 'm afraid to lose money while translating,

Having said that, you might guess why I'm a little bit doubtful to upgrade from Trados Workbench 7.1 to the newest version... I recognize, nevertheless, that it is a very useful tool.

Do I have to upgrade or not? (and become exposed that the next Trados offer say: sorry, dear, your version is too old, you'll have to buy the whole thing - and I will seriously think on swithching to the competence)

Kind regards

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

upgrading to trados 2007?

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Wake up in the Morning and see that you have sold TMs and made Money overnight

The TM Market Place for Translators
New: Our Instant TM Download
TM owners: Upload your TMs into the online database
Customers: Analyse your text & instantly download a text-specific TM
Well over 1.2 BILLION translation units

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs