https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/102935-trados_upgrade_%2B_compatibility_trados_65_powerpoint_2007.html

Trados upgrade + compatibility Trados 6.5/Powerpoint 2007
Thread poster: Tansy Tazewell
Tansy Tazewell
Tansy Tazewell  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:07
Member (2008)
German to English
Apr 22, 2008

I had been wondering whether to upgrade my Trados 6.5 before the upgrade offer runs out at the end of the month but I had pretty much decided against it as I am not an advanced user of Trados and am perfectly happy with the basic functions of Trados 6.5 which I use.

But something got me thinking yesterday. I received a .pptx Office 2007 Powerpoint file from a customer and I couldn't open the file at all until I had downloaded a 27 MB conversion patch from Microsoft (I currently use
... See more
I had been wondering whether to upgrade my Trados 6.5 before the upgrade offer runs out at the end of the month but I had pretty much decided against it as I am not an advanced user of Trados and am perfectly happy with the basic functions of Trados 6.5 which I use.

But something got me thinking yesterday. I received a .pptx Office 2007 Powerpoint file from a customer and I couldn't open the file at all until I had downloaded a 27 MB conversion patch from Microsoft (I currently use Office 2003). I was then able to open the Powerpoint file, but I was completely unable to open it in Tag Editor - all I get is a few strange characters when I open it.

Does this mean that Office 2007 (or at least Powerpoint 2007) is incompatible with Trados 6.5? If that is the case I would take up the Trados upgrade offer - or was this somehow just a freak file? (the customer has only just started using Office 2007 and say they have already encountered various problems with it). By the way, I did try saving the .pptx file as a lower Powerpoint version but that didn't work - I get some message about the registration settings being blocked followed by "Powerpoint could not convert the file".

And on the same subject: are there any other good reasons why I should upgrade my Trados 6.5?

Thanks!
Collapse

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Incompatible... Apr 22, 2008

Tansy wrote:

Does this mean that Office 2007 (or at least Powerpoint 2007) is incompatible with Trados 6.5? [/quote]
Yep.
It is incompatible.

If that is the case I would take up the Trados upgrade offer

Yes, I think.
Or you may choose another CAT tool (e.g. Swordfish) if you're not addicted to Trados

- or was this somehow just a freak file?

The Office 2007 file formats are new and completely different.

(the customer has only just started using Office 2007 and say they have already encountered various problems with it). By the way, I did try saving the .pptx file as a lower Powerpoint version but that didn't work - I get some message about the registration settings being blocked followed by "Powerpoint could not convert the file".

Sometimes it works, sometimes no.

And on the same subject: are there any other good reasons why I should upgrade my Trados 6.5?

You got SDLX and a lot of improvements in Tag Editor.

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2008-04-22 13:39]

Tansy Tazewell
Tansy Tazewell  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2008)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Apr 23, 2008

Thanks for that info. In that case I'm glad I found out now when there is still time to get a 6.5 upgrade. Although I think it's a cheek that Trados won't be offering 6.5 upgrades after April 30th I'll be sticking with it as it's what all my colleagues use as well.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados upgrade + compatibility Trados 6.5/Powerpoint 2007

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »