Thread poster: Justyna Kula
Justyna Kula
Justyna Kula  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:20
English to Polish
+ ...
Apr 23, 2008

Dear all,

I have a problem with Trados 2007 and MS Word 2002. When I try to open a segment or close one segment and open another or simply close a segment, Trados refuses to cooperate and this mark appears: -{}-. The Workbench shows the message: "No previous search! Could not save translation unit. Use "Close" without saving."

Then nothing works but Close without saving or Fix document command.

Any idea what might be wrong and how it can be fixed?
... See more
Dear all,

I have a problem with Trados 2007 and MS Word 2002. When I try to open a segment or close one segment and open another or simply close a segment, Trados refuses to cooperate and this mark appears: -{}-. The Workbench shows the message: "No previous search! Could not save translation unit. Use "Close" without saving."

Then nothing works but Close without saving or Fix document command.

Any idea what might be wrong and how it can be fixed?

Justyna
Collapse

metpet (X)
metpet (X)
English to Slovak
+ ...
It might be a formatting problem. Apr 23, 2008

Hello,

it might be a word formatting problem. Maybe you can send me part of the document and I can have a look at it.

Try another translation memory. If the problem persists the problem will probably be in the document formatting.

Good luck!

Elena Boevska
Elena Boevska
Local time: 17:20
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
More details Apr 23, 2008

Is there any message in Word' status bar? Is there anything else strange happening? This sounds very familiar to me, but i cannot remember how I fixed the problem. If you could provide me some more details, maybe I will remember...

Regards,
Elena

Justyna Kula
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It's not a formatting problem Apr 23, 2008

The document I'm translating has no complex formatting. I even changed the font from Tahoma to Arial to avoid problems.

Justyna Kula
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No messages in the Word status bar Apr 23, 2008

Elena, I didn't notice any error messages in Word.

But I'm wondering if it might have something to do with Microsoft Visual Basic...

Margreet Logmans (X)
Margreet Logmans (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Fix document? Apr 23, 2008

Have you tried Fix Document?

Justyna Kula
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Fix Document Apr 23, 2008

Margreet Logmans wrote:

Have you tried Fix Document?

I did, but it slows me down when I have to fix the document every second sentence. And it is a bit annoying.

Margreet Logmans (X)
Margreet Logmans (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Annoying indeed Apr 23, 2008

Just a guess, but are you using Multiterm?
If you are, try closing MT, do Fix Document once again and see what happens.

MT has caused me a lot of trouble in the past. If you're not using MT, I'm out of options.... Good luck!

Elena Boevska
Elena Boevska
Local time: 17:20
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Possible cause for the problem Apr 23, 2008

So you try and save a segment, the brackets appear, then you fix the doc and move to the next segment? Are you sure that the Workbench really saves your translation?
I have experienced the following situation (many times): When trying to save a segment, nothing happens. I don't remember what was the message in the workbench but i suspect that it is the same as yours. But also, there was a message like this in Word when I tried to perform any action (at the bottom left): "... because a tran
... See more
So you try and save a segment, the brackets appear, then you fix the doc and move to the next segment? Are you sure that the Workbench really saves your translation?
I have experienced the following situation (many times): When trying to save a segment, nothing happens. I don't remember what was the message in the workbench but i suspect that it is the same as yours. But also, there was a message like this in Word when I tried to perform any action (at the bottom left): "... because a translation unit is already open...". In cases like this I fix the document, all nonprinting symbols appear (!!!), I hide them and continue working. (Sometimes I fix the Trados tags manually because the Fix command is not very clever...).
If this is your case, don't copy any text manually in the document. The problem also appears when you copy formatting. (In both cases you copy hidden symbols and formatting and this confuses the Trados macros). And one more problems generator: If you use keyboard shortcuts it is possible that you turn the Num lock on and off. Then, when you try to enter numbers using the numpad, you move the insertion point. And if it happens that you move the insertion point over a hidden tag and enter any symbol there, the segment won't close normally. That is my annoying experience with this software and I hope that my conclusions are correct and helpful.
Collapse

lisevs
lisevs
search for "curly brackets" in the forums Apr 23, 2008

hi,
this problem sounds familiar - did you try to search for "curly brackets" in the forums? I think you might find some help there

Percy Balemans (X)
Percy Balemans (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Try changing the document view in Word Apr 23, 2008

Elena Boevska wrote:
But also, there was a message like this in Word when I tried to perform any action (at the bottom left): "... because a translation unit is already open...".

I sometimes get that message when the segment is an item in a bulleted or numbered list and I am viewing the document in Print Layout view in Word. In that case, switching to Draft view helps. Maybe this helps solve your problem as well?

David Earl
David Earl  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:20
German to English
Had this problem with earlier versions Apr 24, 2008

The problem seemed to be related to embeded formulas/documents (Excel files and Pictures, in this case) in the paragraph being translated. If the embedded formulae/docs were in a separate paragraph, they weren't a problem.

Because of deadline, I didn't have time to search for a solution. Only a few paragraphs were involved (and Multiterm was not), so I simply edited those paragraphs without Trados. I hope the comment here helps find the solution again, if it has already been discuss
... See more
The problem seemed to be related to embeded formulas/documents (Excel files and Pictures, in this case) in the paragraph being translated. If the embedded formulae/docs were in a separate paragraph, they weren't a problem.

Because of deadline, I didn't have time to search for a solution. Only a few paragraphs were involved (and Multiterm was not), so I simply edited those paragraphs without Trados. I hope the comment here helps find the solution again, if it has already been discussed.
Collapse

MichalJankowski
MichalJankowski
English
Try this Apr 24, 2008

Try this:

1. open file in unicode text editor
2. find and remove all -{}- marks
3. save file and run one more time in MS Word

It should help

Regards,
Michal

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2007 and MS Word 2002: -{}- mark

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »