https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/103148-trados_dual_target_languages.html

Trados ? Dual target languages
Thread poster: Owen Witesman
Owen Witesman
Owen Witesman
Local time: 05:13
Finnish to English
+ ...
Apr 24, 2008

Ok, so this may be simple, but just indulge me. I'm using Trados. I maintain two main translation memories, one for each of my source languages. I translate into both US and UK English, depending on what the client wants. Sometimes they send me their existing TM, which I import into my master. This means that I have two target languages in each TM. However, I want Trados to suggest matches from both target languages and to do concordance searches from both. I would rather see more options rather... See more
Ok, so this may be simple, but just indulge me. I'm using Trados. I maintain two main translation memories, one for each of my source languages. I translate into both US and UK English, depending on what the client wants. Sometimes they send me their existing TM, which I import into my master. This means that I have two target languages in each TM. However, I want Trados to suggest matches from both target languages and to do concordance searches from both. I would rather see more options rather than less and sort out the dialect differences later. Is there any way to do this other than just acting as if all translations were into one of the target languages?Collapse

Spiros Doikas
Spiros Doikas  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:13
Member (2002)
English to Greek
+ ...
Export your TM Apr 24, 2008

I would recommend exporting your TM and with a good text or tmx editor to normalize all language codes. I.e. if you prefer EN-US find all instances of EN-GB and replace with EN-US. Then, reimport the TM.

Owen Witesman
Owen Witesman
Local time: 05:13
Finnish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Apr 24, 2008

Yeah, that's what I've done in the past. I guess I'll just keep doing that and just use the one target language while in Trados. Thanks!

Sandra & Kenneth Grossman
Sandra & Kenneth Grossman  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 14:13
French to English
+ ...
Use the other TM in read-only mode Apr 25, 2008

Hi Owen,
You can attach the other TM as a read-only reference TM for concordance search purposes.
Check or uncheck the box "Search first in reference translation memory" to switch between them.

This way you can keep the two English TMs separate.

HTH,

Sandra

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:13
English
Try this... Apr 25, 2008

Hello Owen,

You could create one TM to hold both US English and UK English.

When you import the terms, you need to make sure that the "Check Matching Sub-Languages option is NOT checked. This way you can add TU's with UK English and US English as the source language.

I hope this helps,

Many Thanks,

Gareth Powell

CMJK
CMJK
Ireland
Local time: 12:13
Member (2008)
German to English
Concordance won't recognise both TM target languages Apr 16, 2009

Hi all,

I *think* I have the same problem as Owen had but I would like to check as I'm a little confused by the replies.

I also have a TM with two target languages, UK and US English. When I perform a concordance search in a project, the source text is found as a match, but the target segment is omitted - if the selected target language for the project differs from that used when I did the original translation.

When I switch the target language back to th
... See more
Hi all,

I *think* I have the same problem as Owen had but I would like to check as I'm a little confused by the replies.

I also have a TM with two target languages, UK and US English. When I perform a concordance search in a project, the source text is found as a match, but the target segment is omitted - if the selected target language for the project differs from that used when I did the original translation.

When I switch the target language back to the "correct" one, the matching target reappears in the concordance search.

Is there really no way to avoid this other than flattening the TM into one language or another?

I'd appreciate any suggestions as I am relatively new to this program.

Many thanks,

Caroline
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados ? Dual target languages

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »