Mobile menu

TagEditor and txt file
Thread poster: Elisa Côté
Elisa Côté
English to French
+ ...
Apr 25, 2008

Hi everyone,
I have SDL Trados freelance 2006 and I just reintalled it on my new pc but now when I try to open a file with the extension .txt, TagEditor doesnt recognize it, why ? The document contains that kind of tags:

/*** QUESTS\govern_strike.a ***/
// line 142
3822 "Amaranta Felicidad is expecting you."
// line 153

Thank you

[Edited at 2008-04-25 16:27]

Direct link Reply with quote

tectranslate ITS GmbH
Local time: 16:13
+ ...
Strings for a game Apr 26, 2008

Looks like you've been tasked to translate the text strings for the game "7.62 mm" by 1C Games. I don't know what format they're in but here's a forum discussion dealing with the translation of these files. Maybe this will prove helpful. Please note, however, that the web site has since been restructured, so this is only a non-navigatable Google cache version - still, should be a useful starting point.

P.S.: As to Trados, you may want to ask the client what format the files are supposedly in and then read up in the manual what you're supposed to do with that format. Trados comes with an exhaustive File Formats Reference Guide PDF that is fully searchable.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:13
SDL Trados 2007... Apr 29, 2008

Hello Elisa,

SDL Trados 2007 (SP2) offers a regular expressions filter for text files which can be used to translate any text based file format.

Text files often contain text for translation or localization in a pre-defined structure. Using the Regular Expression text files filter allows this structure to be retained during the translation process.

The Regular Expression text files filter allows you to add text files directly to SDL Trados Synergy or to open and translate text files directly in TagEditor. Using the filter, you can directly process text files across all SDL Trados applications, such as Synergy, TagEditor, Translator’s Workbench and WinAlign.

Through this filter, you can select the strings matching a certain pattern to be translated.

The patterns would most likely be:

Opening pattern:

Closing pattern:

This should match what you’re trying to do.

Many Thanks,

Gareth Powell

[Edited at 2008-04-29 13:46]

[Edited at 2008-04-29 13:51]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TagEditor and txt file

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Translators like you are producing higher quality translations faster with Lilt!

After years of research at Stanford University, Lilt has introduced a revolutionary new tool that will change the way you translate. Lilt learns how you translate to give you more personalized suggestions. Be more productive today! Use it FOR FREE!

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2015
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software.

SDL MultiTerm 2015 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2015 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs