https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/103301-thai_english_under_trados_and_multiterm_consequences_of_no_inter_word_spaces_no_punctuation.html

Thai-->English under Trados and Multiterm (consequences of no inter-word spaces & no punctuation)
Thread poster: Michael Sloggett
Michael Sloggett
Michael Sloggett  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 14:45
Thai to English
Apr 26, 2008

Hi all,

I'm a freelance Thai-->English translator learning to use Trados and Multiterm. I've already found my way through several issues with the excellent advice offered on this board, but am wondering about the following:

As you may be aware, the Thai language is written without spaces between words, and usually without any punctuation. Two questions arise from this:

1) I'm currently preparing source documents for translation by adding fullstops to mark o
... See more
Hi all,

I'm a freelance Thai-->English translator learning to use Trados and Multiterm. I've already found my way through several issues with the excellent advice offered on this board, but am wondering about the following:

As you may be aware, the Thai language is written without spaces between words, and usually without any punctuation. Two questions arise from this:

1) I'm currently preparing source documents for translation by adding fullstops to mark out segments. This works, but is there a better way?

2) Multiterm (version 7) is only recognising terms when they are separated by spaces from surrounding text. Can multiterm be set to recognise terms within a continuous string of letters? If not, perhaps i will need to look at software to add spaces between words - which I would expect to be problematic in itself.

I'd greatly appreciate any pointers on these issues and any other Thai language peculiarities that I may be about to run into.

Many thanks in advance,

Michael
Collapse

nordiste
nordiste  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 06:45
English to French
+ ...
same issues in other languages ? Apr 26, 2008

I am not sure wether other languages have the same problems, like Malays or Hindi.
May be you could post your question in English in one of the forums dedicated to these languages.

Michael Sloggett
Michael Sloggett  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 14:45
Thai to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your suggestion Apr 26, 2008

Good idea, Nordiste. I shall do a little reading about which other languages are similar and then follow your suggestion.

All the best, Michael

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Thai-->English under Trados and Multiterm (consequences of no inter-word spaces & no punctuation)

Translation news related to SDL Trados

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »