https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/103343-sdlx_fails_to_start_in_dual_os.html

SDLX fails to start in Dual OS
Thread poster: hyjwonder
hyjwonder
hyjwonder  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:39
English to Chinese
+ ...
Apr 26, 2008

Hi,

I am playing with computer. It is alright with Single OS (Windows XP SP2 Chinese in Drive C) to run SDLX, but once I installed another OS (Windows XP SP2 English, Drive F) and it becomes dual OS, SDLX fails to start in either OS... even after I uninstall the other one...Can anyone tell me why? Do I really need to format it to restore a single OS environment?

Thanks in advance!

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:39
French to Polish
+ ...
Probably some hardcoded paths... Apr 27, 2008

hyjwonder wrote:

I am playing with computer. It is alright with Single OS (Windows XP SP2 Chinese in Drive C) to run SDLX, but once I installed another OS (Windows XP SP2 English, Drive F) and it becomes dual OS, SDLX fails to start in either OS... even after I uninstall the other one... Can anyone tell me why?

Unlike Trados, SDLX was never intended to permit several versions installed simultaneously on the same PC (or rather operating system).
In this case, as the programming at SDL is rather messy, I suppose some path and module names and locations may be hardcoded (e.g. C: drive or default to the to the first drive letter where the a Windows folder structure installation is spotted).
In this case, incorrect (incoherent) dependent dll's may be loaded in an unexpected way.

Do I really need to format it to restore a single OS environment?

Probably yes.

Never play with your production computer

Cheers
GG

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDLX fails to start in Dual OS

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »