Mobile menu

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Finished translation in Tag Editor 7 - do I have send a TM export as well?
Thread poster: Marion Delarue

Marion Delarue  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 04:31
Spanish to French
+ ...
Apr 28, 2008

Hello,
I´ve finished the translation. Now I want to send it to the client. I have to send th TM as well, don´t I?
How do I do?
Thank you

[Modifié le 2008-04-28 04:26]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-04-28 05:58]

Direct link Reply with quote

Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
export Apr 28, 2008

Open TWB
Go Help-Topics, tab Index
Find "export"
Follows the instructions

Do such a simple lookup-task yourself next time.

Antonin

France
Spanish to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
"export a TM for the client Tag editor 7 URGENT! Apr 28, 2008

I finished the trnslation, but I don´t know what to do no. What do I have to send exactly to the client?

Do I have to give him the file cleaned-up?
do I have to up-date TM

I suppose so, bu I am new in this, and I am afraid to do wrong things that I won´t be able de solve...

If somebody is on-line at this time...please help me!

thank you

avsie  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Send what the client asked you to send Apr 28, 2008

Send what the client asked you to send. If he only mentionned the translated files in a particular format, then that's what you send him...

France
Spanish to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
export a TM for the client Tag editor 7 URGENT Apr 28, 2008

Thank you to anwer!

The thing is that I don´t think she told me anything. But she will need the TM for sure. (Big project)
I would like to give her everyhting so that she can open it, use it etc...

How do I do?
How do you proceed to clean a file? etc..

tkx

Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:31
Dutch to English
+ ...
Delivery Apr 28, 2008

Send her the unclean file and the clean file. You should have a copy of the original file next to your translated file. When you finish translating/correcting save the translated file and then save the file using the commands:
File -> Save target as
The system will ask whether the original file should be overwritten: answer yes. If it is an Excel file you may want to actually open it in Excel and perform a spell check in Excel itself (the TagEditor spell checker is notoriously bad; at least in English).

Now you have a clean file. Zip the two files and deliver this to your customer. This will ensure that your customer has the memory for this job.

France
Spanish to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Finished translation in Tag Editor 7 - Apr 28, 2008

But I don´t understand, she does´n t need a TM?
And I don´t have to clean up the file?

tks

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Ask your customer Apr 28, 2008

Marion Delarue wrote:

But I don´t understand, she does´n t need a TM?
And I don´t have to clean up the file?

tks

Your customer is the only person to answer this - I suggest to ask her. (Preferably, these details should be discussed and determined in advance.)

Best regards,
Ralf

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 05:31
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
*.tmw, *.iix, *.mdf, *.mtf, *.mwf Apr 28, 2008

These are the file-endings, if you send the original Trados TM. Put them in a packed file. The other possibility is to export from Workbench to a tmx-file or txt-file.
But if you send the translated, bilingual ttx-file, the customer can create all they want from it.

France
Spanish to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Finished translation in Tag Editor 7 Apr 28, 2008

And if I sent her the translation in xls? saved in bilingual, can she use it and find the TM in it?

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
File Formats Reference Guide Apr 28, 2008

Marion,
I strongly suggest to consult the Trados File Formats Reference Guide, where the workflow for translating Excel files is explained in detail.

Marion Delarue wrote:

And if I sent her the translation in xls? saved in bilingual, can she use it and find the TM in it?

You cannot save a bilingual .xls file. It is possible to extract TM information from a bilingual TTX file - once again, I suggest to discuss these process details with your customer. No matter how often you ask here, nobody is in a position to know your customer's workflows.

Best regards,
Ralf

France
Spanish to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
clean up the files Apr 28, 2008

ok.

I f I wanted to export the TM though, for this client or for another, how do I do?

another question is :if you clean-up a file, can you go back then to a non cleaned-up version of the same file?, or is it for ever?!!

I have docuementation about begin with Trados but it is too simple, and I don´t find the answer of my questions...

thank you VERY much

[Modifié le 2008-04-28 11:21]

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Exporting TM Apr 28, 2008

I f I wanted to export the TM though, for this client or for another, how do I do?

1. Go to File / Export,

2. skip the window that opens. Note:it would allow you to define a subset to be exported - in case you have been using the same Tm for different projects, this would allow you to export just what you wanted)

3. enter the name and the type of the file to be created by export . The name would naturally have something to do with the TM you have used and for the type, select either txt or TMX (1.1 version is a safe bet).

4. Press OK and send the created file to the client.

If you have just one big TM for all kinds of customers, than it makes sense to send just the uncleaned files - they are a TM in the making, i.e. the client just needs to use TWB to add them to his/her TM -.

regards

Vito

[Edited at 2008-04-28 11:58]

Nicole Y. Adams, M.A.  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 12:31
Member (2006)
German to English
+ ...
Forums search, Google, Support, courtesy Apr 28, 2008

Marion,

I am just wondering: Is there any reason why you choose no to use the search function in the forums or use Google to find the answers to your many basic Trados questions you have been posting over the last week or two? Just curious...

I personally find the Trados documentation very helpful, but as you say it is unclear to you, have you tried contacting Trados Support for clarification?

On a completely separate note, if I hired a professional plumber and found out he has never used a plunger nor bothered familiarising himself with it before starting work in my bathroom I'd be more than nervous.

P.S.: Vito you are a patient man, hats off to you.

languagerescue
United States
Local time: 22:31
English to French
+ ...
It would be nice if you could close your 26 or so Kudo questions Marion... Apr 29, 2008

I think you have received a tremendous help from this website Marion! A mere thank you would really be appreciated...
Closing your numerous Kudo questions and doing a little more research online without relying so heavily on your peers would be tremendously appreciated.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Finished translation in Tag Editor 7 - do I have send a TM export as well?

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs