Mobile menu

SDLX - Analysis discrepancy - help please?
Thread poster: Angela Dickson

Angela Dickson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:21
French to English
+ ...
Apr 29, 2008

I was recently sent a job in the form of a .itd file, which I exported to .ttx and translated in TagEditor. I had a spat with the agency before starting, as they claimed the 3000-word text contained 1000 words of repetitions, and my analysis only showed 2% repetitions. I performed the analysis in Trados and asked a friend to analyse it in SDLX for me, and we both got approximately the same result (2% of the text was repeated).

I asked the agency for the log file, and it contained the following settings for analysis:
New Files:
Selected : 4

Old Files:
Selected : 0

Translation Memories:
No translation memories selected.

Translation Memory Options:
- Minimum Match Value: n/a
- Context Mismatch Penalty: 0%
- Filter Mismatch Penalty: 1%
- Using Target Language: n/a
- Delete Existing Translations: Yes

Autopropagation Options:
- Enabled: Yes
- Minimum Match Value: 75%

Cross File Repetitions:

Automatch Options:
- Dates: Yes
- Numbers: Yes
- Acronyms: Yes

General Options:
- Word Count Algorithm: Alternative
- Hide Number Segments: Yes
- Segmentation Rules: Default

This is more for my own curiosity than anything else, as the job is now done and I agreed to their terms - but what could account for the discrepancy in the analyses? What does a minimum match value of 75% mean in practice? And could there be a crucial difference between SDLX and Trados which would account for this disagreement?

many thanks. Incidentally, I am using Trados (Build 719).

Direct link Reply with quote

Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:21
English to French
Maybe the beginning of an explanation Apr 29, 2008

Angela Dickson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:21
French to English
+ ...
thanks Apr 30, 2008

Thanks Philippe but in practice what does this mean? If I were using SDLX would the >75% matches be propagated as though they were 100% matches, thus making it appear that 1/3 of the text was repeated? When I translated the text in Trados there didn't seem to be nearly that many matches (I'd have expected them to pop up as I worked).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDLX - Analysis discrepancy - help please?

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Want to earn more in your spare time? Monetize your knowledge!

Do you speak one or more foreign languages? Fluency in target language + willingness & ability to help people in everyday situations could earn you $45 / hour. Download “Quiick Angel” app & become a guardian angel today

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs