Getting started with Trados
Thread poster: GeorginaW (X)
GeorginaW (X)
GeorginaW (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:32
German to English
Apr 29, 2008

I have two big fat brand new Trados files sitting on my desktop (Multiterm and Trados Freelance 2007) and I don't know which one to start with/how to start. (Scared stiff.) There must be a thread but I haven't dug it up yet...Can you direct me please!

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 12:32
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
The installation guide is there Apr 29, 2008

...where you got the files. Just load also these guides and read them before installation.

Margreet Logmans (X)
Margreet Logmans (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Documentation & naming files for practising Apr 29, 2008

There's also the Help-tab in Workbench, and if you install your files in Windows, open 'All Programmes' in the main menu (Start), find SDL Trados and keep opening these maps until you find Tutorials, Documentation and the rest.
These are big files, reading may take quite a while. But everything you need is in there.

Don't panic, don't be scared. The best way to start is to just start trying with some files of your own.
(Re)Name the files you're going to be fooling around
... See more
There's also the Help-tab in Workbench, and if you install your files in Windows, open 'All Programmes' in the main menu (Start), find SDL Trados and keep opening these maps until you find Tutorials, Documentation and the rest.
These are big files, reading may take quite a while. But everything you need is in there.

Don't panic, don't be scared. The best way to start is to just start trying with some files of your own.
(Re)Name the files you're going to be fooling around with with easily recognisable names, so you can throw them away if you're making a mess of things.
I suggest: April's Fool, Me Being Silly, Scared Stiff But Still Trying, Help!I Made a Mess of This, et cetera. You get the idea

Good luck!
Collapse

GeorginaW (X)
GeorginaW (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
starting Trados Apr 29, 2008

Thanks - I just didn't know which one to open up first. Love your file names Margreet!
(I was booked on a beginners' course at the w/end, but couldn't make it in the end.)

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 12:32
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
One Trados beginners' manual can be downloaded from my site Apr 29, 2008

"TRADOS BASICS.doc" is written for a very old version of Trados, however Getting Started hasn't changed much.

www.tulko.lv/e
login/pass: Trados / Trados

There are also some useful links.

Uldis

GeorginaW wrote:

Thanks - I just didn't know which one to open up first. Love your file names Margreet!
(I was booked on a beginners' course at the w/end, but couldn't make it in the end.)

Gina Ferlisi
Gina Ferlisi
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Trados for idiots!! Apr 29, 2008

I learnt from this guide, easy and fun, but also see other proz forums too on this topic.

http://life.bizland.com/trados.htm

good luck

gina

Edith Goebel
Edith Goebel  Identity Verified
German to Danish
+ ...
In Ingolstadt Apr 30, 2008

Hello Georgina,

If you have the posibility to come to Ingolstadt, I could show you how Trados works.

I have done that several times before for friends:
http://www.proz.com/forum/german/75444-trados_einstieg-.html

Edith

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Getting started with Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »