Thread poster: Luca Tutino

Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 22:28
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
Apr 30, 2008

I would like Trados to jump a column in a table.

According to many sources including posts in this forum I should just apply a tw4winExternal style to the column.

However I never managed to find such a style in normal Word documents. No matter what option I select under Show ("Available styles", "All syles" etc.) in Style and Format palette, tw4winExternal is never available there! Even if I specifically add or open the model Trados8.dot it is not there.

Apparently there is no tw* style available at all. Yet as soon as I open the first segment tw4winMark becomes available. This means that there should be an obvious way to import styles from somewhere which I could not find.

It might be that there is an issue with my installation of Word 2007, since each time I close Word, a prompt asks if I want to save Multiterm.dot even if I never changed anything... This is not a good sign, right?

I have to say that I never spent much time on it until today: beeing too much in a hurry I always opted for some workaround. This time I hope you can give me a hint...

Direct link Reply with quote

Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
English to Hungarian
+ ...
You have to create it Apr 30, 2008

Hi Luca,
You can create any new style you wish and give it the name you like.
The easiest would be to open a file that uses the style tw4winExternal, select an item in that style, copy it into your doc - and from then on, you will have tw4winExternal in your doc, and you can use the format painter.
The other possibility is to create a new style from scratch. In either case, I would suggest that you use a different color and font as well.
HTH
Attila

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Trados7.dot has it Apr 30, 2008

This means that there should be an obvious way to import styles from somewhere which I could not find.

In Word there's a corner, where one can (among other things) copy styles between files. It is in tools/Templates and Add-Ins - (I have a German word, so I dont know if Tools/templates and Add-ins is correct: if you see Trado7.dot there, you are in the right place.

At the bottom of the interface there's a button named organize. From there on it should be simple. Hint: copy the t4win* styles from trados7.dot to normal.dot and then you will never again have to look for them.

Regards

Vito

PS: I am talking about word 2003, I guess in 2007 it should be even easier to locate.

[Edited at 2008-04-30 13:16]

Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you to both Apr 30, 2008

Thank you Attila. So my workaround was not really a workaround... I just created new styles with different names and then defined as internal or extrnal nontranslatables in WB settings... I would have expected that this was already included in the TradosX.dot file, but apparently it is not.

And thanks to Vito too. I found that Organize button is quite useful in order to save my newly created styles once for all in my Normal.dot. I hope I will find them ready for use from now on.

Ciao,
Luca

PS On the other side now I have also tried to open Trados8.dot as a model and as a document, in every way possibile, but in the trados8.dot pane of the Organize window I only get 4 basic styles (Predefined paragraph, No list, Normal and Norma table - I am retranslating from Italian UI). No trace of tw4 styles here...

[Edited at 2008-04-30 13:52]

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Huh? ... you're right Apr 30, 2008

PS On the other side now I have also tried to open Trados8.dot as a model and as a document, in every way possibile, but in the trados8.dot pane of the Organize window I only get 4 basic styles ...

... it is the programmatic part of tradosX.dot (i.e. the VBA code) that creates them. Sorry. Same approach, another tack: take one of the bilingual files (that were already exposed to trados) and do the organize step. If that does not work ... I'll have some more ideas (g).

tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Easiest solution! Apr 30, 2008

Attila Piróth wrote:

The easiest would be to open a file that uses the style tw4winExternal, select an item in that style, copy it into your doc - and from then on, you will have tw4winExternal in your doc, and you can use the format painter.

No, there's an even easier solution (requires the Trados macros to be installed in Word, which I'm guessing is the case for most Trados users except me - they get in my way a lot, so I only enable them when I need 'em.)

Just run the macro SAddTagStyles, i.e. press Alt+F8, type "sa" to highlight the macro and then run it. This adds all the usual Trados styles to the current document and allows you to apply them to any text you like.

HTH,
Benjamin

Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good to know May 1, 2008

Thank you Benjamin!

This information would have saved me a lot of time. However a search with the word "macro" on the pdf documentation did not help.

Are TW macros covered somewhere else?

[Edited at 2008-05-01 13:09]

Michel Mullejans  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:28
Member (2006)
English to French
Thank you Vito! Jan 26, 2013

Dear Vito,

After looking high and low (including on the SDL site, which is often of little help, and on Proz...) for a means to "protect" the left column of the columnar format documents my clients send me regularly, I have, thanks to you, found a simple and easy way to do proceed.

You write simply and clearly, state all the steps, and thanks to your advice, a complicated process has been made very simple...
I am sure you have helped dozen of colleagues who have read your 2008 post.
Vielen Dank aus dem wilden Westen!*

Michel
_____
*I live in Oregon

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I apply tw4winExternal style?

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs