Fiona Paterson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:01
Member (2006)
Russian to English
+ ...
May 1, 2008

Hello!

I had my Multiterm 'epiphany' a couple of weeks back and can now import a two column Excel glossary to a two field Multiterm termbase (the two fields being source and target languages).

However, if I have a more complex Multiterm termbase with descriptive fields (such as 'definition', 'source' etc), I can't understand how to import entries from an Excel glossary. I'm guessing that I would have to add columns to my Excel glossary to match my Multiterm fields with labels such as 'definition' and 'source' even if they were left empty, but I don't know how to define the entry structure in Multiterm convert when more than two fields are involved. I've tried drawing the tree diagram that Multiterm uses when you create a termbase with all the fields on a piece of paper to use it as a guide, but it doesn't look the same as the tree diagram that comes up in Multiterm convert.

I've spent a long time looking through the manual (which makes me go blank) and on the web for help with this - could someone advise me or point me in the right direction?

Many thanks in advance

Fiona

Direct link Reply with quote

Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
How many columns? May 2, 2008

Hi, Fiona,

How many columns does your Excel file has.

If it is only source and target you can just convert it normally.

You only need to make sure that the first row in each of the two columns contains the field names for the source and target languages exactly as they are in the MultiTerm termbase.

Daniel

United Kingdom
Member (2006)
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It works with two columns, but what about more? May 2, 2008

Hi Daniel

I was wanting to import a two columned Excel sheet (with just source and target) and it worked! Thank you so much, I was getting so confused!

For future reference, is there any 'easy guide' to importing a more complicated Excel sheet (one with 'definition', 'source', etc)? I know the column headings would have to match the field names and I know that you would specify the source and target terms as 'index fields' and the others as 'descriptive fields'. But I still don't know how to match the entry structure - I just can't see how the entry structure that you create in the Conversion wizard matches the entry structure of your existing database.

Any help gratefully received!

Fiona

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 17:01
English to Czech
+ ...
A brief explanation May 4, 2008

Hi Fiona,
I know exactly what you are talking about because I went through the painful process of importing my first Excel glossaries into MultiTerm couple of years ago.
So just to explain:
1) Index fields are the terms you are importing (e. g. frere = brother);
2) Descriptive fields are complementary fields you can (but don't have to) assign to each or some of the terms, maybe for explanation/definition purposes (e. g. brother = a person's male sibling; or "the term brother appears in c:\documents\translations\familytree.doc").
These descriptive fields may have different input formats (text = explanation, Boolean value = True/False etc.). So the descriptive fields provide additional information to specific terms.
Basically, you define the descriptive fields under the term level of the respective language (i. e. if your term description is in English, you will define the descriptive field under the English - brother - term level).
Hope this helps.

[Upraveno: 2008-05-04 13:54]

United Kingdom
Member (2006)
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you!!! May 4, 2008

Hello Stanislav

THANK YOU enormously. After your explanation, I suddenly realised how the entry structure in the conversion wizard matched the structure of my termbase. Actually, on my termbase, 'definition' and 'note' are at the same level as 'term', with 'source', 'context', 'status' etc below the 'term'. And also, I'd written 'definition' (with a lower case 'd') on my Excel spreadsheet and 'Definition' (with an upper case 'D') in my termbase, so of course Multiterm didn't recognise the column.

Thank you very much for your time with this - I've been playing around with Multiterm for months on and off and I just couldn't get it.

Hurray!!! What a good start to the week!

Fiona

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 17:01
English to Czech
+ ...
Glad I could help... May 6, 2008

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Multiterm convert 7: defining a complex entry structure

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs