Mobile menu

Pretranslation takes ages - what can it be?...
Thread poster: Vito Smolej

Vito Smolej
Local time: 08:09
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
May 1, 2008

The document is a straightforward, no-frills, line-by-line RTF file, no frills, just long - about 45000 words, 5400 segments. Last Sunday it took 4 minutes to pretranslate (with "Translate Terms" on Replace). Now, today, it all slooowed down to a practical stall - momentarily its been 10 minutes since I started again and its sitting still at 35%...

I did already:

o reorganized the TM (several times) - OOps, its now 36 %!
o pruned my C drive
o updated to 8 version (its my system #2 here, #1 - rest his soul - needs resuscitation
o moved both the TM and the file to C (in case it had something to do with drive changes)

All steps negative so far.

Any suggestions?

Feel stupid, but as the saying goes, this kind of things happen even in the best families (g).

PS: it's 37% now and its ridiculous...

EDIT: problem identified / solved: cutting up the file in four pieces helped. The reason probably is that #2 system has weak legs (RAM-wise) compared to my #1. Sigh...

[Edited at 2008-05-01 20:42]

Direct link Reply with quote

Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:09
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
Just wondering May 2, 2008

If you were lost, what can we expect for ourselves in a similar situation? I guess I would go hang myself from the first tree I find!

Glad you found what the problem was. Now, whenever we find ourselves in the same predicament, we know who has the solution.

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:09
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Pretranslation takes ages - what can it be?... May 2, 2008

the revenge of the machine?

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Insufficient RAM May 4, 2008

Hi Vito, I was just about to suggest, that your problems are probably related to insufficient RAM space.
This often occurs when (pre)translating large files in Word; that's why I always use TagEditor which is much quicker, not putting megabytes of garbage to my computer RAM.

Vito Smolej
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
a few days later... May 4, 2008

Revenge of the machine?

Let me come out 100%. A week ago I decided - in a moment of a lapse of reason - to install SP3 on my workhorse. I did not finish the installation. But I did succeed to screw up completely, to the uselessness level, my XP installation. So I had to move working environment to a different PC etc etc...

... and Hiob raised his eyes to the heaven and cried out: "Why me, o Lord, why me"
and God said: "Hiob, you suck"

(theodicea, the way I understand it) Well, God was right, who th pushed me to screw around with a perfectly normal, working, tuned-in workhorse...?
Insufficient RAM

I agree, but then I disagree (g). The CPU has been burning 100% on those tasks and I just cant see the reason for it. I assume, there' s A LOT OF PADDLING going on under the surface. By the way ( a support for this thesis) , later I moved to MultiTerm 8 as well and things did look a little different.
Just wondering - if you get lost...

Touche... But...
Some fundamental rules I have broken
a) dont fix, what's not broken
b) never touch a running system
c) dont make a fool of yourself (sg)

Some fundamental rules I have adhered to:
a) know thy critical iinformation
b) keep it separate and keep backups
d) remember, it could be much worse

[Edited at 2008-05-04 18:13]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Pretranslation takes ages - what can it be?...

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs