Working around poor performance in Vista
Thread poster: Owen Witesman
Owen Witesman
Owen Witesman
Local time: 21:50
Finnish to English
+ ...
May 4, 2008

Ok, so I know some people are using Word + the Trados service pack + Vista and things are going ok. Personally, I still think it's crap. So I've installed Word 2003 alongside 2007. However, it seems like the two programs are fighting each other to be the .doc application. I installed them in separate directories, but every time I start 2007 after using 2003, it has to partially reinstall itself.

What is the proper protocol for operating both 2003 and 2007 within the same OS?
<
... See more
Ok, so I know some people are using Word + the Trados service pack + Vista and things are going ok. Personally, I still think it's crap. So I've installed Word 2003 alongside 2007. However, it seems like the two programs are fighting each other to be the .doc application. I installed them in separate directories, but every time I start 2007 after using 2003, it has to partially reinstall itself.

What is the proper protocol for operating both 2003 and 2007 within the same OS?

Thanks in advance.
Collapse

Ivana Kahle
Ivana Kahle  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 05:50
Member (2007)
German to Croatian
+ ...
Skip Word May 4, 2008

How about skipping Word and switching to Tag Editor?
Using Trados in Word 2007 has been a very painful experience for me. Since I have switched to Tag Editor, which works perfectly, I have been never tempted to use Trados in Word again.
For further information go to my topic "Trados dead slow on Windows Vista". You might find useful some of the suggested remedies. Btw, Trados is just fine, the problem is in Office, i.e. Word.

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Modify the Windows registry May 4, 2008

Caution: modifying the registry may cause seriuos damage to your system, so please do a backup and be very careful.

Open the Registry (you can do so by entering the "regedit" in the Start - Run box (or similar - my Windows is German)).
In the Registry open the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office key. Locate the proper subkey, depending on your Word version. For Word 2007 it will be 12.0, and for Word 2003 it will be 11.0.
Then go to the key Word\Options.
Ri
... See more
Caution: modifying the registry may cause seriuos damage to your system, so please do a backup and be very careful.

Open the Registry (you can do so by entering the "regedit" in the Start - Run box (or similar - my Windows is German)).
In the Registry open the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office key. Locate the proper subkey, depending on your Word version. For Word 2007 it will be 12.0, and for Word 2003 it will be 11.0.
Right click on the right window and with the command "Edity - New - DWORD value" create the entry "NoRe-Reg". After that double clikc this entry and change the value to "1". Press OK for applying the change.
Repeat the same procedure for all subkeys for other Word versions.

You should also note, that it is advisable to install first the older and than the newer software because of common used features.

Please also note, that I did not try to follow the above description myslef, but took it from a computer magazine.

HTH
BR
Jerzy
Collapse

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 10:50
English to Thai
+ ...
Installing Two MS Office versions on one Windows OS May 5, 2008

You can check the knowledgebase above from Microsoft Office website. They give a bery good and easy to understand steps to install both Office 2003 and Office 2007 on the same Windows OS.

Regards,
Soonthon L.

Boyan Brezinsky
Boyan Brezinsky  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 06:50
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Why not ditch Office 2007? May 5, 2008

Do you really need MS Office 2007? There is a compatibility update that allows older versions of MS Office applications to read the new file formats. So why not simply uninstall Office 2007 and save yourself some headaches?

Nicholas Stedman
Nicholas Stedman  Identity Verified
Italy
French to English
Do you really need VISTA! May 5, 2008

I made the bad mistake of buying a new computer with Vista
Hours of wasted time and additional expenditure and absolutely no advantage over XP
Wordfast is slower too
I find Office 2007 an improvement though

[Edited at 2008-05-05 07:46]

Owen Witesman
Owen Witesman
Finnish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good question May 5, 2008

bsb_2 wrote:

Do you really need MS Office 2007? There is a compatibility update that allows older versions of MS Office applications to read the new file formats. So why not simply uninstall Office 2007 and save yourself some headaches?

You know, I was pretty skeptical about it at first, but I've gotten used to the new ribbon menu system and really like it now...I was surprised.

Owen Witesman
Owen Witesman
Finnish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thesaurus May 5, 2008

Ivana Kahle wrote:

How about skipping Word and switching to Tag Editor?
Using Trados in Word 2007 has been a very painful experience for me. Since I have switched to Tag Editor, which works perfectly, I have been never tempted to use Trados in Word again.
For further information go to my topic "Trados dead slow on Windows Vista". You might find useful some of the suggested remedies. Btw, Trados is just fine, the problem is in Office, i.e. Word.

I do plenty of work in TagEditor, but when I'm translating e.g. literature, having the thesaurus handy is really important. As I've indicated elsewhere, I also prefer the Word solution because I think it makes editing easier.

Owen Witesman
Owen Witesman
Finnish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'll give this a try. May 5, 2008

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Right click on the right window and with the command "Edity - New - DWORD value" create the entry "NoRe-Reg". After that double clikc this entry and change the value to "1". Press OK for applying the change.
Repeat the same procedure for all subkeys for other Word versions.

You should also note, that it is advisable to install first the older and than the newer software because of common used features.

Please also note, that I did not try to follow the above description myslef, but took it from a computer magazine.

HTH
BR
Jerzy

Thanks!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Working around poor performance in Vista

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »