Mobile menu

Unifying EN-GB + EN-US in Multiterm....?
Thread poster: Susanne Lomander

Susanne Lomander  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:16
Swedish to English
+ ...
May 5, 2008

I need to organize and unify some of my many different Multiterm termbases, and have a problem that I need some help with. My early termbases were created as bilingual termbases, using only two languages (English + Swedish or English + Spanish). Later on, I found I had to distinguish between UK and US English terms, so later termbases now used SWE + EN-GB plus EN-US (plus synonyms under each index).

Now I need to unify some of these termbases and create trilingual termbases using English, Swedish and Spanish. I would prefer to only use 3 languages and somehow join the En-GB and EN-US terms into one global ENGLISH index field, and perhaps use attribute fields to describe variations (eg REGION = UK or US).

This would make it easier for me to search and enter terms in all 3 languages simultaneously, but how do I go about it (and is it the most practical way to deal with UK + US English differences?).

Any and all practical suggestions greatly appreciated!

Direct link Reply with quote
Local time: 13:16
English to Russian
+ ...
adding the marks May 5, 2008

I organize my termbases that way- simply give two variants of English transaltions marking them BE (if it is British English variant) and AE (if it is American English variant). For example:
métro- subway AE
the underground BE

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Unifying EN-GB + EN-US in Multiterm....?

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Want to earn more in your spare time? Monetize your knowledge!

Do you speak one or more foreign languages? Fluency in target language + willingness & ability to help people in everyday situations could earn you $45 / hour. Download “Quiick Angel” app & become a guardian angel today

More info »
Wake up in the Morning and see that you have sold TMs and made Money overnight

The TM Market Place for Translators
New: Our Instant TM Download
TM owners: Upload your TMs into the online database
Customers: Analyse your text & instantly download a text-specific TM
Well over 1.2 BILLION translation units

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs