Unifying EN-GB + EN-US in Multiterm....?
Thread poster: Susanne Lomander

Susanne Lomander  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 04:45
Swedish to English
+ ...
May 5, 2008

Hi!

I need to organize and unify some of my many different Multiterm termbases, and have a problem that I need some help with. My early termbases were created as bilingual termbases, using only two languages (English + Swedish or English + Spanish). Later on, I found I had to distinguish between UK and US English terms, so later termbases now used SWE + EN-GB plus EN-US (plus synonyms under each index).

Now I need to unify some of these termbases and create trilingual termbases using English, Swedish and Spanish. I would prefer to only use 3 languages and somehow join the En-GB and EN-US terms into one global ENGLISH index field, and perhaps use attribute fields to describe variations (eg REGION = UK or US).

This would make it easier for me to search and enter terms in all 3 languages simultaneously, but how do I go about it (and is it the most practical way to deal with UK + US English differences?).

Any and all practical suggestions greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Direct link Reply with quote

AANTI
Ukraine
Local time: 05:45
English to Russian
+ ...
adding the marks May 5, 2008

I organize my termbases that way- simply give two variants of English transaltions marking them BE (if it is British English variant) and AE (if it is American English variant). For example:
métro- subway AE
the underground BE

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Unifying EN-GB + EN-US in Multiterm....?

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search