Multiterm cleanup and removing duplicates
Thread poster: Susanne Lomander

Susanne Lomander  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 11:24
Swedish to English
+ ...
May 5, 2008

I am in the process of reviewing and cleaning up my myriad Multiterm termbases in order to create a couple of unified, subject-specific termbases. I work with 3 languages (Swedish, Spanish and English) and need all my new termbases to be trilingual.

My second problem (just posted problem #1 about unifying EN-GB and EN-US terms in Multiterm) is that, when learning how to use Multiterm 7 I got very confused about which databases were what (due to the new system of numbering the termbases and saving them who knows where), and ended up importing some of them several times. In other words, I have duplicates and triplicates in some databases that I now want to remove, and most probably different termbase definitions as well.

I have exported all my MTWs into excelsheets for now, and was going to start reviewing and cleaning them up. How can I do this easily and speedily (ie make sure all databases have the same structure and are in the same columns), and how do I deal with duplicates and triplicates? Must they be manually deleted in Excel or is there another faster way?

(I suspect I could use filters in MT when importing, but I don't know how they work, and the manuals just leave me blank... Is there anyone with practical, step-by-step experience out there willing to lend a hand...? =)

Thanks!

Direct link Reply with quote

Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 11:24
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Partial solution ... May 6, 2008

I have exported all my MTWs into excelsheets for now, and was going to start reviewing and cleaning them up. How can I do this easily and speedily (ie make sure all databases have the same structure and are in the same columns), and how do I deal with duplicates and triplicates?

Its rather convoluted method - in ExCel:
1.) concatenate source and target into one single item (with an underlign as a separator, so you get them apart later on) in a column, called UniqueEntries for instance.
2) make a Pilot table (!) with UniqueEntries - now the unique keys come up only once. Discard the rest of the contents of the table.
3) copy UniqueEntries to a third spreadsheet and tear them apart - using Left, Right, Instr Functions (and the underlign of course).

I had this point of multiple entries entered in the SDL TRADOS ideas database - both a posteriori and when using Convert, where it happens I guess to everybody. The official way out of it is rather lame at the moment - record-by-record deletion somewhere in the MultiTerm menu.

Regards

Vito

[Edited at 2008-05-06 08:01]

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Multiterm cleanup and removing duplicates

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs