Luis M. Cuerdo Galarraga  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 01:21
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
May 12, 2008

Hello there,

I have translated a text (*.doc) with sentence by sentence segmentation in Trados 7. The client asks me to deliver the translation with full paragraph segments.

So far I have been changing it manually (expand segment, concordance search, Copy&Paste) which is obviously time consuming and tedious.

Does anyone know if there is any function in Trados, or anywhere else, to ease the process?

I welcome any suggestions, thank you.

Luis

Direct link Reply with quote

Anna Sylvia Villegas Carvallo
Mexico
Local time: 18:21
English to Spanish
Do you mean... May 12, 2008

... client wants an UNCLEAN Trados file with full paragraphs segments?

If this is the case, and provided the text is translated already, I'm afraid you will have to use the WINALIGN function and combine segments one by one. It may be less time consuming than copying and pasting each segment.

Let us know if that's the case.

Jabberwock  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
Try glossary May 12, 2008

Actually, the easiest way would be to use DejaVuX Professional. Its autoassemble function would allow it to perform the task very quickly.

Without that it will be somewhat more complicated. Here's the procedure I propose:

1. Export the TM to Wordfast Glossary with the old version of Olifant (Enlaso one, not the one in the Okapi framework). You might use first the option „Remove tags”, as I think they will not survive the import/export procedure intact anyway.
2. Import the glossary as tabbed text into a new Multiterm base.
3. Select this Multiterm base in Workbench and pretranslate the source file with proper (paragraph) segmentation and the option „Translate terms” set to „Replace”.

With luck, the „sentence” segments should be recognized as terms and replaced automatically during pretranslation.

Of course, the tags will be missing (I think), so the amount of work left will depend on how heavily the text is tagged. Another problem might be sentence periods, if they are not replaced correctly in terms, you might have to remove them manually from the glossary text file.

If you go with the aligning, I recommend using the alignment tool that you have in the SDLX package. It is much more friendly than WinAlign...

Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes, paragraph-based alignment May 12, 2008

Tadzio Carvallo wrote:

... client wants an UNCLEAN Trados file with full paragraphs segments?

If this is the case, and provided the text is translated already, I'm afraid you will have to use the WINALIGN function and combine segments one by one. It may be less time consuming than copying and pasting each segment.

Let us know if that's the case.

Yes, exactly.

And a paragraph-based alignment and pre-translation should hopefully not take very long, specially if you have long paragrpahs.

Because both documents should have the same number of paragraphs and in the same order, WinAlign should match all of them perfectly.

If you import the WinAlign results into an empty TM and then translate the document, you can probably do it very quickly as well because there won't be many paragraphs that need different translations depending on their context (but keep an eye on headings and bullet points).

Daniel

Spain
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Winalign May 12, 2008

Thank you all,

First of all, yes Tadzio, the Client has to edit the translation and they asked to send them the translation of each segment. I proposed to send them an unclean Trados Doc which I think serves that purpouse, however they prefer to have it by paragraphs rather than by sentences.

Secondly, I am not familiar with the applications mentioned but I will give it a try to Winalign since I don't have either DejaVu nor Wordfast, Olifant or "alignment tool that you have in the SDLX package"?

I hope I will manage to use Winalign with the tutorials, if not I might bother you again

Thank you again,

Luis

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 02:21
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Make a table May 12, 2008

Take both source and translation and convert them to tables (paragraph marks as delimiter. Then you expand the one table (adding column) and copy the other table into it. Now you have a 2-column table, which I would convert to text and save as txt-file. Converting this txt-file to Wordfast-TM can be done using PlusTools.
In Wordfast set segmentation rule to paragraph (not recommended). Translate originla document and save uncleaned.

Spain
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How do i make the table? May 12, 2008

Hello Heinrich,

It sounds like a good idea but, i do not understand the "convert them to tables" part. Do you mean manually or is there a word function for that? If I could do it automatically I could send to the client a two column table in word or excel, this could be better/easier for their purposes.

Thx,

Luis

Anna Sylvia Villegas Carvallo
Mexico
Local time: 18:21
English to Spanish
Heinrich's is a very good idea. May 12, 2008

Open the source document.

On the EDIT menu, Select all.

Go to the TABLE menu and select "Convert text to table" (one column and separate text in paragraphs). Accept.

Do the same with target document.

Finally, gather both columns in one document. You can do it on Excel too.

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
One more idea ... May 13, 2008

i. Take the original file and edit it, so that the paragraph end can be identified - for instance, by changing all other hard breaks to soft breaks, i.e. keeping the hard break as the paragraph terminator. In any case there must be some character standing in for single paragraphs. If it is TWO hard breaks, you can change them to a (single) §.

ii. Create a table out of the file (ORG), you need to specify the character breaking the lines (whatever you have used above, the hard break or the §)

iii. Pretranslate ORG and clean it into TARG. Now you have the same file, still in a tabular form, but in the target language.

iv. Join ORG and TARG side by side into one single, double-column table.

Note: WinAlign is out of context here. Actually it would be a horrible waste of time. The problem has nothing to do with translating or contextual problems of sentence segmentation, it's just a little editing how-do-I - it still looks, however, it took 5+ translators to get this bulb screwed in (g).

regards

[Edited at 2008-05-13 12:32]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

From Sentence to Paragraph segmentation

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs