Mara Ballarini  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 02:32
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
May 12, 2008

Hi everyone.

I'm trying to import revised units from a .txt file into my existing memory - I've tried with overwrite and with merge, the process seems to go smoothly, but the new units aren't actually recorded - I still see only the old version. Would anyone know why? This is the process I've always used to import TMs and when the units are new, it's never been a problem, but now that I have to update the same units, it seems it's not working as it should.

Thank you for any suggestions.

and have a good day/night

Mara

Direct link Reply with quote

Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:32
Spanish to English
+ ...
Were the segments in the .txt file from an alignment? May 13, 2008

By default, Trados applies a penalty to segments created with WinAlign, and they won't overwrite the existing segments for the same source text.

I think the solution is to change the configuration of the TM so there's no penalty for aligned segments. (If memory serves, even this doesn't always solve it.)

Mara Ballarini  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 02:32
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Steven. that might be it! May 13, 2008

yes, the txt comes from an alignment and since last time I had the same problem I solved it creating a new tm from the txt and then exporting my old tm and importing it in the new one - and it worked! although I didn't know how and why (!?) - now it all makes sense. I'll try that way.
Thank you so much again!!
have a good day!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

problems updating TM with revised units

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs