do function words count as repetitions in Trados Analysis?
Thread poster: EHI (X)
EHI (X)
EHI (X)
Local time: 15:27
May 14, 2008

I was wondering what exactly counts as a repetition in Trados Analysis.

I would assume that functions words, i.e. grammatical words such as prepositions, pronouns, auxiliary verbs etc which have little or no lexical meaning are not counted, but am not quite sure.

I haven't been able to find anything about this in Trados' documentation.

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
It is not repetitions of individual words that are concerned May 14, 2008

In fact, I also used to think that repetitions of individual words were meant. However, if that were the case, we would be earning a negative amount - or paying to work!

A "repetition" means an entire translation unit which occurs identically in the text on a further occasion, or on several further occasions. Of course, a translation unit may consist of only a single word, or a short phrase, on occasion, e.g. if that word or phrase is a heading. However, otherwise we are talking abo
... See more
In fact, I also used to think that repetitions of individual words were meant. However, if that were the case, we would be earning a negative amount - or paying to work!

A "repetition" means an entire translation unit which occurs identically in the text on a further occasion, or on several further occasions. Of course, a translation unit may consist of only a single word, or a short phrase, on occasion, e.g. if that word or phrase is a heading. However, otherwise we are talking about repetition of sentences, not words.

Astrid
Collapse

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Function words still have to be translated May 14, 2008

Lutz Molderings wrote:

I would assume that functions words, i.e. grammatical words such as prepositions, pronouns, auxiliary verbs etc which have little or no lexical meaning are not counted, but am not quite sure.

Trados is a TRANSLATION software.

Function words still have to be translated, don't they?! = Se ha de traducirlos, verdad?

In the above sentence in EN there are 4 (debatable) meaning words (of 10) and the rest are function words, but us translators don't just translate the meaning words.

Stop thinking in terms of words or units of anything other than your TIME!

Today I received a job, 7 pages PDF, not convertible to Word, with 50/50 handwriting and typewriting. Some 400-500 words.

That amount of words in Word, for typewritten text with identical complexity, would take me x minutes. In the PDFs I describe, it will take, at least, x minutes by 2 or 3 or 4.

Hope that helps you see things a bit more clearly:-)

By the way, a repetition in Trados is a statistical count, not a linguistic comparison. That's why, for example, in my case, 50% matches are pretty ridiculous.

[Edited at 2008-05-14 23:47]

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 20:27
English to Thai
+ ...
Another point: 100% match May 15, 2008

In Trados, you will also see 100% match.
It is different from repetition; it is matching with what you already have in TM.
Repetition is based on what you never have in TM before the time of analysis.

Regards,
Soonthon L.

EHI (X)
EHI (X)
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you everybody. May 15, 2008

My problem was that I could not see any difference between a 100Fuzzy and a repetition.
There seemed to be no reason why one should differentiate between the two.

As Soonthon pointed out, however, fuzzies refer to what is already in your TM, repetitions refer to the source text only. Obvious, I suppose, but not to me

Anyway, thank you all for your contributions.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

do function words count as repetitions in Trados Analysis?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »