https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/104657-cant_open_excel_file_in_tageditor.html

Can't open Excel-file in TagEditor
Thread poster: Heidi Sandberg
Heidi Sandberg
Heidi Sandberg
Spain
Local time: 19:23
Finnish to Swedish
+ ...
May 15, 2008

Hello,

I'm using Trados 7.0 Freelance, Office 2003 and Windows Vista.

I have an Excel-file that has to be translated in Trados and I have to deliver both clean and unclean files. I can't manage to open the file in TagEditor! I try to open the xls-file and it says "Failed to create file parser Trados.ExcelFileParser2". When I press OK it says !(80005): Failed to create parser for plugin file format".

Can anyone help me with this please?

Thanks
... See more
Hello,

I'm using Trados 7.0 Freelance, Office 2003 and Windows Vista.

I have an Excel-file that has to be translated in Trados and I have to deliver both clean and unclean files. I can't manage to open the file in TagEditor! I try to open the xls-file and it says "Failed to create file parser Trados.ExcelFileParser2". When I press OK it says !(80005): Failed to create parser for plugin file format".

Can anyone help me with this please?

Thanks!
Collapse

Luisa Ramos, CT
Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:23
English to Spanish
TWB Manual May 15, 2008

Check the Plugin section under the TagEditor chapter of the TWB Manual. I think it may have something to do with the Verifiers, but I am not sure. I know you are probably pressed for time but you'd like to read, make a copy of your file, change the plugin settings, and try. Unless you get a reply from one of the experts (Jerzy, Ralf, Vito) before you have an opportunity to play around.

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Office Version May 16, 2008

Hi Heidi,
this error may occur when an Office 2007 file is re-saved as an Office 2003 file. You will need Trados 8x to open and edit it.

Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Maybe a protected file? May 21, 2008

I think Stanisalv is spot on, but you could also check the data protection. Sometimes a client with itchy fingers will password-protect some tabs or even the entire document.
If you're lucky, no password is required and you can just remove the protection.

But the best thing would be to go back to the client and find out the circumstances: in which version was it created etc.

/J

fyz123
fyz123
English
re Jun 2, 2008

Hi,

Maybe the xls is corrupt or damaged. Do you have another copy? If you need to repair the file, I think you can try a utility called Advanced Excel Repair It works rather well for my corrupt Excel xls files. Its web address is http://www.datanumen.com/aer/

Hope this is useful.

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 20:23
English to Turkish
+ ...
No problem with Trados 7.5 (aka 2006) Jun 3, 2008

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

Hi Heidi,
this error may occur when an Office 2007 file is re-saved as an Office 2003 file. You will need Trados 8x to open and edit it.

Windows XP Pro SP3 + MS Excel 2003 + Trados 7.5

I have tested an Excel 2007 file (opened and saved back in 2003 version) but there was no problem. So, either I was lucky, or 2007 > 2003 conversion does not cause any problem with Trados 7.5 as well. Anybody willing to test with Trados 7.0?

Huw Watkins
Huw Watkins  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:23
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
Did you get a solution to this? May 10, 2010

I have exactly the same problem. I am using SDL Trados 2007 Freelance with Office XP Pro (2002) and Windows XP Pro.

I think I will try looking into the plugin chapter in the manual as sugessted, but would also be interested to hear what people have come up with.

Huw

[Edited at 2010-05-10 13:56 GMT]

Maura Kontio
Maura Kontio
Finland
English to Finnish
+ ...
The same problem with Windows 7 and Trados 2006 Aug 10, 2010

Hi,

I'm also getting the same error message when I try translating Excel files with TagEditor on my new computer, running Windows 7 and Trados 2006. Everything worked fine with my old XP computer. I've tried all the solutions suggested here and at http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/73164-excel_files_with_trados-page2.html (apart
... See more
Hi,

I'm also getting the same error message when I try translating Excel files with TagEditor on my new computer, running Windows 7 and Trados 2006. Everything worked fine with my old XP computer. I've tried all the solutions suggested here and at http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/73164-excel_files_with_trados-page2.html (apart from running the setup file in compatibility mode, since there is no tab for Windows 7), but nothing works. Does anyone have any other ideas? I'm getting pretty desperate...
Collapse

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: doubtful link that requires clicking on setup.exe
popilieflorin
popilieflorin
Split excel file Aug 29, 2011

If excel file have lots of rows, you can split in 2-3 smaller files.
From 1 file with 1500 rows I make 3 files with 500 rows and it woks for me.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can't open Excel-file in TagEditor

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »