Thread poster: Isabel Fernandez
Isabel Fernandez
Isabel Fernandez  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:55
English to Spanish
+ ...
May 17, 2008

I am working with the latest Trados version for freelancers, and Word files.

I translate a file using TagEditor, and at the end I use "Save bilingual as". Trados generates a Tag Editor File and a Word file. The resulting Word file only shows the source text, not both the source and the target text. Because of this, I cannot clean up the file.

Before this happened, when I used "Save bilingual as" it would also generate a Tag Editor file and a Word file, but the Word file
... See more
I am working with the latest Trados version for freelancers, and Word files.

I translate a file using TagEditor, and at the end I use "Save bilingual as". Trados generates a Tag Editor File and a Word file. The resulting Word file only shows the source text, not both the source and the target text. Because of this, I cannot clean up the file.

Before this happened, when I used "Save bilingual as" it would also generate a Tag Editor file and a Word file, but the Word file contained both the source and the target languages and I could clean it with no problem.

Obviously, I must have inadvertently changed some setting, but I have no idea what it was.

I have also noticed that when I save the Save Target As option, Trados opens a pop up screen and it allows me to create the file as a .doc document, creating a file immediately. However, when I try to use the Save Bilingual As option, I don't get the option to save it as a .doc file, it only allos me to save it as a .ttx file, and consequently the Word file still has the same date as the original file in the source language.

Could somebody please help???

Thanks in advance!
Isabel

[Edited at 2008-05-17 06:01]
Collapse

EHI (X)
EHI (X)
Local time: 08:55
are you sure? May 17, 2008

When you save as "bilingual", Trados does not generate a .doc file, but only a .ttx file or rather a doc.ttx file.
The .doc file you are talking about is probably the original source file.

When you "Save target as", Trados will create the new .doc file which will only contain the target language.

Isabel Fernandez
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Cleand version only in source language May 17, 2008

However, when I clean up the bilingual file, I only get a file in the source language, not the target language....

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 08:55
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
check TWB setup May 18, 2008

It's a short in the dark, but in any case the check box (for RTF and/or DOC) in Options / Translation memory options / tools has to be checked.

Regards

Vito

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 07:55
German to English
+ ...
I don't understand the problem May 18, 2008

Isabel Fernandez wrote:
However, when I clean up the bilingual file, I only get a file in the source language, not the target language....

As Lutz pointed out, the "Save Target As..." function will give you a "cleaned" file in your target language.

Isabel Fernandez
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Original was not in same folder May 18, 2008

Thanks to all of you for your help. I think I finally solved the issue. The original file was not in the same folder as the file I was trying to create.

Have a great weekend.
Isabel

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I save a bilingual file but it only generates a file in the source language

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »