Mobile menu

Is Multiterm a must for SDL Trados?
Thread poster: Shirley Lao
Shirley Lao  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to Chinese
+ ...
May 20, 2008

I am considering the purchase of SDL Trados. Due to my limited knowledge of this software, I am wondering if SDL MultiTerm 2007 Extract (with PhraseFinder) must be used together with SDL Trados 2007 Freelance. In other words, is SDL Trados a standalone package?

Thank you for your feedback!

Direct link Reply with quote

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 07:18
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
No May 20, 2008

I use Trados since 2002 and SDLX since 2006 but have never used Multiterm Extract or Pathfinder. I do not even once have used Multiterm for Trados, only SDLX Termbase. It depends much on you language pair and your style of work if those additional packages are worth using or not.
Regards
Heinrich

Member (2007)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your feedback May 20, 2008

So I can just purchase SDL Trados.

xxxSerena Warlu  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:18
French to English
Useful if your client provides a glossary May 20, 2008

As Heinrich says, it depends upon the type of work you do.
Multiterm is particularly useful if the client provides a glossary (in excel format, for example) in addition to the translation memory. Once the glossary has been converted to Multiterm you will see suggestions (term by term) in the right hand window of the Trados Workbench, helping you to use the right term or the term preferred by the client.

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
MultiTerm vs MultiTerm Extract May 20, 2008

I own and use MultiTerm and had a short look at MultiTerm extract some time ago. MultiTerm Extract is a tool that can be used to fill up a MultiTerm Terminology DataBase. From the limited exposure I had to it, I would assume it is useful if you have the source and the Target version of a bulk material, let's say complete Canadian legislature for a given year in EN and FR. Then this tool would help you get the EN-FR legal terminology culled out of the material. Note, it still involves a LOT of hard work.

So far I've had two three cases like this and they have not warranted the purchase. I could achieve pretty much what I wanted using Wordfast' PlusTools.

Regards

Vito

Spiros Doikas  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:18
Member (2002)
English to Greek
+ ...
MultiTerm yes, MultiTerm Extract no May 20, 2008

MultiTerm is useful in order to have terminology matches (speed and consistency in your translation) and it is free with SDL-Trados (http://www.translationzone.com/en/products/sdltrados2007/).

MultiTerm Extract is for mining terminology from bilingual/monolingual files. This is a step towards project management rather than the average freelance translator's task.

Member (2007)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Great feedback May 20, 2008

Thanks for all of your feedback. I can now tell the difference between MultiTerm and MultiTerm Extract.

S_Angel  Identity Verified
Italy
German to Italian
+ ...
Multiterm Extract May 20, 2008

Vito Smolej wrote:
I would assume it is useful if you have the source and the Target version of a bulk material, let's say complete Canadian legislature for a given year in EN and FR. Then this tool would help you get the EN-FR legal terminology culled out of the material. Note, it still involves a LOT of hard work.

Yes, it is very useful if you want to automatically extract terminology from a great amount of bilingual material. Of course then you have to check manually all the results, so in my opinion it is cost-efficient only if you are sure the final database is going to be of real use to you in the future.
I wonder if a freelance translator will ever have the time to do such a thing...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is Multiterm a must for SDL Trados?

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs