Thread poster: Charles Stanford

Charles Stanford  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 05:44
Member (2008)
Czech to English
+ ...
May 20, 2008

Sorry if this problem has been posted before... I have just bought Trados 2007 and the TM I am trying to use was compiled using Trados 6.5. I can open the TM alright with Trados 2007 but it just does not seem to recognise any terms from the Trados 6.5 TM. I have checked using my version of Trados 6.5 on a different computer and it recognises the same terms without any problems. Is there something I have to do to the TM to get the same terminology recognition results with Trados 2007? I thought it was perhaps just a case of adjusting the terminology recognition options (lowering the minimum match value) but that does not work. Incidentally, is it normal under "settings" if I try to lower the minimum match value that I cannot click on "OK"? I have got the default minimum match value of 70%, then try to lower it using the arrow but "OK" is not "clickable"....
Thank you for any advice.
Charlie

Direct link Reply with quote

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
More details... May 20, 2008

Charles Stanford wrote:

Sorry if this problem has been posted before... I have just bought Trados 2007 and the TM I am trying to use was compiled using Trados 6.5. I can open the TM alright with Trados 2007 but it just does not seem to recognise any terms from the Trados 6.5 TM. I have checked using my version of Trados 6.5 on a different computer and it recognises the same terms without any problems.

As I understand, you have problems with the terminology recognition and not with the sentences data base (TM)?

Is there something I have to do to the TM to get the same terminology recognition results with Trados 2007?

You use the latest MultiTerm release?
You performed the data migration as it's described in the documentation?
You use the "legacy" Multiterm 5.x?

I thought it was perhaps just a case of adjusting the terminology recognition options (lowering the minimum match value) but that does not work. Incidentally, is it normal under "settings" if I try to lower the minimum match value that I cannot click on "OK"?

It means something is wrong/missing in your installation.

I have got the default minimum match value of 70%, then try to lower it using the arrow but "OK" is not "clickable"....

It should be accessible.

Cheers
GG

Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
perhaps a bit of alchemy May 20, 2008

(1) If I were you I would try exporting from 6.5 to txt and importing to the new version from that.

(2) Encoding (= charsets) of the txt files might be worth to be checked.

Antonin

Czech Republic
Member (2008)
Czech to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you May 20, 2008

Thanks Grzegorz, I will have to have a closer look at what is missing from what I have installed.

French to Polish
+ ...
Requisites... May 20, 2008

Charles Stanford wrote:

Thanks Grzegorz, I will have to have a closer look at what is missing from what I have installed.

Make sure you have downloaded and installed MultiTerm 2007.
It's a separate package.

You can install the old Multiterm 5 too.
It works with Vista.
Take a look on the installation files of your precedent version.
If you want to use help fot MT5, you should download the enabler for hlp files in Vista.
See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917607

Cheers
GG

Czech Republic
Member (2008)
Czech to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks May 20, 2008

Thanks again Grzegorz and Antonin too. Am fighting with a deadline at the moment so will not be able to sort it out perhaps for a day or two but will bear your comments in mind. Thank you both so much.

French to Polish
+ ...
Code pages ako holubička... May 20, 2008

Antoní­n Otáhal wrote:

(1) If I were you I would try exporting from 6.5 to txt and importing to the new version from that.

A good point.
If your problem is not related to the terminology, it should help.

(2) Encoding (= charsets) of the txt files might be worth to be checked.

Generally, if you didn't use the old thick Trados 5.x "solution" related to the corrupt chars in Central Eurrope languages, all will be OK.
Otherwise, you may get messed chars.
I can't give you the Trados KB number as the old Trados KB was removed.
Their solution was to "hack" the mapping of the Win 1250 code page and declare it as 1252 or something like this.
I never used it because it was simply stupid in my main language pair (FR-PL).

Keby hlúposť nadnášala tak ako holubička...

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2008-05-20 23:36]

Czech Republic
Member (2008)
Czech to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sorted out May 21, 2008

Have managed it somehow with a combination of your suggestions. I did get messed up characters in one of the files I have just been doing (Czech) - don't know if it was related - but that may be because I did something else wrong and so will see if that is going to be a problem after a few more files. The other ones do not seem to be affected. Thank you Grzegorz and Antonin for your input.
Charlie

French to Polish
+ ...
Corrupt chars May 21, 2008

Charles Stanford wrote:

Have managed it somehow with a combination of your suggestions. I did get messed up characters in one of the files I have just been doing (Czech) - don't know if it was related - but that may be because I did something else wrong and so will see if that is going to be a problem after a few more files. The other ones do not seem to be affected.

It may depend of the font/style used but sometimes it's "magic".

If you experience serious problems with corrupt CE chars you can't solve/diagnose, switch to Tag Editor.

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/104852-missing_accents_in_target_texte_with_sdl_trados_2007.html

Cheers
GG

Czech Republic
Member (2008)
Czech to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good tip May 21, 2008

Thank you Grzegorz - good tip and I will try it if I have any more problems

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem using Trados 6.5 TM with Trados 2007

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs