Thread poster: EnglishGerman

EnglishGerman  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:56
English to German
+ ...
May 21, 2008

Hi all!

First of all, thank you for posting here!

So, I just got my brand new $1000 dollar software up and running but I don't really get how to benefit from it.

The new Trados Synergy comes with all kinds of confusing gadgets. When do I use TagEditor, when do I use SDLX's SDL edit?
Both can access SDL Multiterm but the Translation Memory that I just generated by translating in TagEditor now can't be opened into the editor of SDLX. Is that the way it is? What nonsense! Why wouldn't you be able to use the same TM for both applications?

Also, how can you "break" (?) the segmenting in TagEditor. For instance, I have a sentence that is split into for segments, whereas it would be much more convenient to translate it all as one segment (in SDL Edit you can drag and drop text to "glue" it into one passage).

Uff, I hope this even makes sense...

Direct link Reply with quote

Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 08:56
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Use shrink segment / Expand segment May 21, 2008

..., how can you "break" (?) the segmenting in TagEditor. ...

The twin commands to do what you need, are in Workbench menu. Shortcuts: Alt+CtrlPgUp and Alt+CtrlPgDown.

Please note however that this way you implicitely change the source - with a possible result, that you get the delivery back, because "... a number of segments has not been translated ...". Sounds crazy, but it can and does happen.

Regards

Vito

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 09:56
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Trados and SDLX are different software May 21, 2008

First there were two corporations, who merged when SDLX bought Trados.
You can use both, but seperately. There file formats are partially convertible.
I use both, it depends on the source files which suits better.
In Tageditor you have source and target segment vertically, in SDLX editor they are horizontally arranged.
Both packages have their lovers and haters.
Regards
Heinrich

Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all! But... May 21, 2008

... in SDL Edit:

when I try to join segments, I get the following error message:

"Unable to join segments: the joining of segments is restricted to segments within the same paragraph. Restrictions also apply to footnotes"

I tried this all over my document. with the same result.

???

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 01:56
Partial member
Spanish
+ ...
Paragraphs May 21, 2008

EnglishGerman wrote:

... in SDL Edit:

when I try to join segments, I get the following error message:

"Unable to join segments: the joining of segments is restricted to segments within the same paragraph. Restrictions also apply to footnotes"

I tried this all over my document. with the same result.

???

That's the default SDLX behavior, I'm afraid there's not a lot you can do directly from SDL Edit. But since you have the full version, you could modify the original file and manually substitute certain paragraph marks with line breaks. If you're working with a Word document, go to Edit>Replace. In Find, type: ^p; in Replace with, type: ^l. Replace all the instances of paragraph marks you want to expand, and then open the file from SDLX (Not SDL Edit). After you translate and export the file, substitute the line breaks with paragraph marks.

[Edited at 2008-05-21 22:10]

quadrivium  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
similar problem May 24, 2008

I cannot get the expand/shrink segment functions to work either.

All the SW appears to do is delete a space between the two segments in question. That's all

I have heard that these functions only work if a segment is open. But, this has made zero difference in my case.

The big joke is that I am not even getting an error message. Apparently the SW thinks it is working just fine. If this wasn't such a pain it would nearly be funny.

Are there any particular settings that need to be configured to make these functions work?

I have never had this problem with DejaVu or Transit...

Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What a messy piece of s.... May 24, 2008

...oftware

quadrivium wrote:

The big joke is that I am not even getting an error message. Apparently the SW thinks it is working just fine. If this wasn't such a pain it would nearly be funny.

Yes! Sometimes you click on something and nothing happens. I click on open workbench ....zzz...zzz... nothing....

That's it? How come so many people require this software for jobs. I mean, it seems that there are much better programs out there that even (! haha) offer support for what you pay $1000 dollars for....

I had my first computer when I was 12, and pretty much know how software works- but this is bad news. Uff, I'm frustrad.

Do those SDL jerks refund money- probably not...

Stefan Gentz
English to German
+ ...
Cheer up! May 29, 2008

EnglishGerman wrote:
That's it? How come so many people require this software for jobs.

Because it's a great software once you know what it does, how it works and and how to deal with it. Of course you should also be aware of the fact, that messy source language documents with tons of hard returns are always messy to translate in any TMS. Make sure that documents meet minimum requirements before you drop them into the translation workflow.

SDLX and TRADOS are very complex software ecosystems providing tons of features for professional workflows. Jumping into the cold big water might be a possibility, but obviously it's not the best way if you don't want to get just too frustrated.
I can only recommend to visit one of the many software trainings out there. Maybe it's also a good idea to make yourself familiar with the SDL TRADOS Certification program. If that's too much effort, check for the "Documentation" and "Tutorials" Folder in the (Windows) Start Menu. The tutorials folder provides flash-video workshops. They might be a good starting point for you.

Kind regards,
Stefan Gentz
TRACOM OHG

Marcvs
Spanish to English
+ ...
The "buy" myths involved Jun 7, 2008

Sorry, but there is a lot of marketing mythology about these supposed marvels. For years, I have not been able to spot out a more overpriced software than this.

Tasks easily made with other software (as Wordfast) are strangely difficult to do with Trados and its gadgets such as WinAlign.

Ex. 1: Try to edit segments in a WinAlign project and you may fall sleep before getting a half done. Editing each segment becomes a colossal work.

Ex. 2: Try to edit a Trados TM and you will hardly be able to make some (very limited) kind of replacements. You will never have direct access to real editable text.

Both examples above seem tp be explained, not by serious technical reasons, but only by the long-standing effort of Trados to get to be and stay as a monopoly. Some law-enforcement actions might be pending about all this.

Certificates and other inventions designed to disentangle what they have so much entangled before are just attempts to open an aditional money entry for the busiiness.

Sorry.

Stefan Gentz
English to German
+ ...
Why compare Wordfast to TRADOS? Jun 7, 2008

I'm always surprised to read about this Trados vs. Wordfast issue. Is that really something you can compare? Wordfast is basically a system for translating Word Documents (and Excel and Powerpoint Documents as far as I know). No doubt, it's great for this specific job and if you want to translate directly in the MS Word environment it does it's job pretty well - maybe even better than the word integration of Trados. This might fit and be enough for some specialized translators who do only want to translate word documents.
Trados on the other side can handle a broad range of demanding file formats like FrameMaker, InDesign, QuarkXPress, PageMaker, Ventura, QuickSilver, OpenOffice and StarOffice and many more. It comes with out of the box support for SGML and quite some XML languages like DITA or XLIFF. Not to forget the out of the box support for translation of RC and DLG files, Java Properties Files and so on. And customizable XML support for virtually any XML language.
Beside file format support, in the SDL TRADOS ecosystem there is a wide range of tools covering the complete document life cycle: From authoring support in document creation with the SDL TRADOS Author Assistant (e.g with direct integration into Word, FrameMaker and XMetal), tools for legacy translation alignments, term extraction and a bold terminology system including server based terminology management including a web-based interfaces. And it goes up to a complex server based content management system and SQL based translation memories.

As far as I can see, Wordfast is 250 EUR per license. SDL Trados 2007 Freelance is 755 EUR. So, if you only see the digits, Trados is three times more expensive. You might call this overpriced when you actually only need a tool for translating Microsoft Word documents from within Microsoft Word. However, I do not see that a comparison of Wordfast with TRADOS (or across or Star) is useful.

Kind regards,
Stefan Gentz
TRACOM OHG

Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hey - It's what YOU do with IT, right? Jun 7, 2008

thank you all for your replies!!! It really helped a great deal.

I'm sure that there is a better/more affordable solution than Trados out there... I mean, those guys really need to come up with a better support system for their twitch-machine

Now that I have the software, and I had it for a little while now, I think it can be (very) useful after all. One just needs to bite the lemon and spend some "quality" time with it...

I didn't know what important role MS Word has. Someone should tell all those newbees that they definetely need a copy of that...
After installing MS Office 2002 I was able to translate with workbench without having to wait FOREVER for TagEditor to do its thing. I also converted a bunch of xls dictionaries into my Multiterm Termbase. 1000's of terms in less than one hour of work - quite cool...

I still don't get the segmenting. The shrink/expand option doesn't do anything yet. So I'm just translating whole sentences. Is that the way to go? How can one influence segmenting, I wonder....

I've been backed up with my projects (due to Trados, hehe), but I will check out their bogus "Certification Training" online when I find a minute.

I think my biggest problem with the software is that the company advertises it as the imperative tool for each and every translator. But after you pay for the program, you're pretty much on your own.
- Well, except for all the helpful Proz.com folks!

Marcvs
Spanish to English
+ ...
A really professional way to wotk on tagged files; import-export intricacies Jul 3, 2008

Hi again,

Now, once you get to know most of those specialty formats are - in one way or another - simply tagged formats, you can find a method (not always easy by using Trados alone) to convert the work files to a format that is really convenient and practical for the professional linguist's work; I mean a fully-editable format, such as Word.

This way you can avoid all the severe limitations TagEditor imposes to the professional translator: its terribly slow (buggy) find-replace feature, the complications to edit any text out of the segmentation windows, its non-intelligent way to judge tag completeness, etc. In a word, the extreme immobility you are subjected to as compared with the Word environment. A professional linguist (weighing the best terms, etc.) does need this kind of free-action environment.

About MultiTerm, a few minutes ago I have just aborted a totally frustrating attempt to import a database file from an Excel format first (MultiTerm could not open the Excel file even if I deleted any accessory sheets and used the simplest 2-column format), and then an attempt to import it from an even simpler format (tab-delimited, single text).

Do the use of all those "definitions" and the like really add practicality to these software? In other words, should so a simple file conversion task (from tab-delimited, 2-column, single text file) need that much complication, or is making these simple chores so complex and awkward just a mischievous strategy to make us candid translators become dependent from a software that is, in terms of design and functionality, quite ordinary - to say the best.

In summary, why is any kind of conversion to or from Trados programs so complex. Isn't this a real "user-hostile" characteristic?

A professional linguist is above all simply that: a professional linguist, and, as such, he needs absolutely all possible freedom to focus on his raison d`être: language.

Well this is just a user's opinion, away from any attempt to bother any colleague.

Regards.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

In plain words: What to do with SDLX & SDL Edit & Tageditor

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs