Mobile menu

TTX made in Trados 8.2 - translate in older version?
Thread poster: Jan Sundström

Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:42
English to Swedish
+ ...
May 21, 2008

Hi all,

I'd like to figure out which versions are compatible for this scenario:

From a DOCX file, a TTX-file is created in Trados 8.2.
I wonder if this TTX can be sent out to translators running older Trados versions?
Would you be able to open and translate this TTX if you're running 6.5 or 7.1?

And will it be possible to clean the TTX in 8.2 again afterwards?

I know this is not recommended officially by SDL, but I'd like to know if it stil can be done.

Thanks a lot for your input!

Direct link Reply with quote

Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
Compatibility May 21, 2008

it depends a little bit on the file format.

You can take a look on the used filters. If they are changed in newer version it can be problematic to use older versions.

From 6.x to 7 there is a change in the tm format and you always should use the correct database version of the tm with your workbench. So it is not possible to open an new tm with a 6.x workbench.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Official: no May 21, 2008

If the source was InDesign, you can forget it. The SDL Talisma site says clearly, that all parts of the supply chain MUST be at EXACTLY the same version level. I even assume small changes of build (Tageditor 835 vs. Tageditor 836) may influence that.
I've tested this on my machine - an InDesign file, created with build 822 can be opened, but does not save as target with build 836.
I do not know what is with other files, and I strongly suppose Excel and Powerpoint will not be affected that much. But Word will again be a different story.
So I would test that before I say yes or no.

Stefan Gentz
English to German
+ ...
Same version for backward and forward processes May 30, 2008

Jerzy is right with his test on InDesign files. This is more because there were some fundamental changes in the last versions in the way character formatting information are handled (external/internal). It is mandatory to use the same version for the verification and the backward process that you have used to convert the InDesign files to TTX.
However, all translators with different versions still can open the files (okay, there is a break somewhere in some really old TRADOS versions where INX was not supported at all.
The bottom line is, you can send out the files to translators with older versions (that support inx or in Jan's case DOCX). As long as the translators do not get error messages on opening the files, they have a version they can use for translation of your files. But as mentioned it is mandatory that the SDL TRADOS Installation for forward and backward process are the same build. Please also make sure that the Conversion Filter Settings for this project are the same on both machines (i.e. for backward conversion the filter settings must identical to the settings you used during forward process). Personally I recommend to backup the "IndesignFilter_1_0_0_0.xml" with each project to be able to easily restore correct settings. A screen shot of the "SDL TRADOS Filter Settings" User Interface (InDesign Panel) might feed for this as well.

Kind regards,
Stefan Gentz

Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
English to Polish
InDesign filter was changed May 30, 2008

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

I've tested this on my machine - an InDesign file, created with build 822 can be opened, but does not save as target with build 836.

Keep in mind that InDesign filter has changed significantly with no change in the official filter name/number.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TTX made in Trados 8.2 - translate in older version?

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs