Mobile menu

Excel-Multiterm direct import via macro?
Thread poster: Sebastijan Pilko
Sebastijan Pilko  Identity Verified
Slovenia
Local time: 04:53
English to Slovenian
+ ...
May 21, 2008

Hi all!

I am looking for a way to import Excel data directly into MultiTerm.

The thing is I have a terminologist and multiple translators. Translators paste terminology into Excel and then the terminologist resolves unknown terminology entries.

I know about the whole MultiTerm Convert and import thing. Columns in Excel are the same as the import definition for Multiterm.

What I need (eg what they want) is a feature in Excel that would enable the terminologist to manually select a row with the resolved term and then peromed an import to MultiTerm via macro.

Is this possible via macro (my biggest concern is the conversion to MultiTerm format)?

Kind regards,
Sebastijan

Direct link Reply with quote

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
What's wrong with doing it in batch mode? May 21, 2008

The thing is I have a terminologist and multiple translators. Translators paste terminology into Excel and then the terminologist resolves unknown terminology entries

Why not MultiTerm Convert? It does it all, except not on the fly and for a single atoimic expression. Is the loop terminologist/translators/translations so tight?

Behind the MultiTerm sits an Access (Jet machine) DataBase. Additionally the MultiTerm functions / macros are public, so you can have a look at them from within say Word and/or Excel VBA. But the functions are rather cryptic and so far I have not yet met any programmed solution.

Maybe using a SendKeys-based tool / like AutoIt / would be the simplest ...

Lep pozdrav

Vito

Sebastijan Pilko  Identity Verified
Slovenia
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
True.. May 21, 2008

Vito Smolej wrote:

The thing is I have a terminologist and multiple translators. Translators paste terminology into Excel and then the terminologist resolves unknown terminology entries

Why not MultiTerm Convert? It does it all, except not on the fly and for a single atoimic expression. Is the loop terminologist/translators/translations so tight?

Behind the MultiTerm sits an Access (Jet machine) DataBase. Additionally the MultiTerm functions / macros are public, so you can have a look at them from within say Word and/or Excel VBA. But the functions are rather cryptic and so far I have not yet met any programmed solution.

Maybe using a SendKeys-based tool / like AutoIt / would be the simplest ...

Lep pozdrav

Vito

Hi Vito!

Importing on-the-fly is a translator's/terminologist's request. Importing even small batches to MultiTerm is not acceptable. Well, I will not argue ...

Kind regards.

Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes, it is possible May 25, 2008

What I need (eg what they want) is a feature in Excel that would enable the terminologist to manually select a row with the resolved term and then peromed an import to MultiTerm via macro.

Is this possible via macro (my biggest concern is the conversion to MultiTerm format)?

Hi, Sebastjan,

You can use the MultiTerm API to add new entries, it is very straight forward.

Don't you have the MultiTerm 7 SDK? It comes with MultiTerm Server, as far as I know.

Basically, you need your macro to convert the Excel row to XML (which is the format used by MultiTerm internally).

The structure of your XML will depend on the your TermBase definition.

Then, if you only want to add the entries as new entries, the macro only has to add the XML as a new entry. I don't have the SDK with me now but I think there is even an example of how to add new entries in the documentation. It is very simple, you will see.

If the row in Excel should update must update existing entries, then it is another story of course because you have then to compare the modified data from Excel with existing data in MultiTerm but, from your comments this is not part of your requirements, right?

Daniel

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Excel-Multiterm direct import via macro?

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs