David Van der Vloet  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 11:52
Member (2006)
English to Flemish
+ ...
May 21, 2008

Dear all,

One of my clients sent me a large multilingual excel glossary and asked me to convert it into SDL Multiterm 2007 format. Using the conversion functionality in Multiterm, I am able to load the terms into this program. However, the attributes are more problematic. Sometimes a term has different translations depending on the context, which is indicated in a comment. My question is: where do I put this extra information in Excel so that it appears as an attribute in my Multite
... See more
Dear all,

One of my clients sent me a large multilingual excel glossary and asked me to convert it into SDL Multiterm 2007 format. Using the conversion functionality in Multiterm, I am able to load the terms into this program. However, the attributes are more problematic. Sometimes a term has different translations depending on the context, which is indicated in a comment. My question is: where do I put this extra information in Excel so that it appears as an attribute in my Multiterm glossary after conversion?
My client suggested to place the additional info between brackets after the target term, but I it would be better to have it as an attribute.
Thanks in advance.
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
where to put comments & attributes May 21, 2008

Create a third column / lets say comments / and declare a corresponding field for the target terminology DataBase in the MultiTerm Convert.

I everything goes OK, you should then end up with the key entries (source and target) plus the comment field (attached to the source key).

David Van der Vloet
David Van der Vloet  Identity Verified
Belgium
Member (2006)
English to Flemish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
MultiTerm Convert May 21, 2008

Thanks for your swift response!
I have created extra columns, but how do I declare the corresponding field in MultiTerm Convert?

Sergei Tumanov
Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:52
English to Russian
+ ...
Have a look here May 21, 2008

http://www.proz.com/forum/russian/104908-И_заплакали_тут_все_швамбраны_и_швабранки.html?start=0

[Edited at 2008-05-21 19:17]

[Edited at 2008-05-22 06:43]

Sergei Tumanov
Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:52
English to Russian
+ ...
and here Nov 4, 2008

http://www.proz.com/forum/russian/72534-Импорт_из_multiterm_convert.html?start=0&float=

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Comment field Nov 4, 2008

Hi David,
create a column named "Comments".
In MultiTerm Convert, assign this column as a "Descriptive Field" and select "Text" from the drop-down list.

When creating a new termbase in MultiTerm, do not forget to add this descriptive field to your termbase definition and name it "Comments" again. If you name it e.g. "Comment", the column will not be imported.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Excel into Multiterm: attributes

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »