Mobile menu

Can I open a bilingual rtf file with TagEditor to perform a QA?
Thread poster: Claudia Alvis

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 18:03
Partial member
Spanish
+ ...
May 21, 2008

My client sent a bilingual rtf file which I translated in Word with WB. As I was working on the translation, I used the TM I was given along with other previous TMs and a Multiterm file, to create another Multiterm file. I did this because I wanted to run a QA with the new Multiterm file, and since WB doesn't have an in-built QA tool, I wanted to use TagEditor's QA.

However, I realized I had never done that. When I try to open the bilingual rtf file in TE, I get the following message:

Is there a way to open the bilingual file in TagEditor. I have a feeling I'm overlooking something really obvious!

Thanks

Edit: I don't have the source file. I guess I can remove the English text, but still I'd like to know if I can work directly with the bilingual file.

[Edited at 2008-05-21 20:11]

Direct link Reply with quote

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 01:03
English to Czech
+ ...
Not possible (AFAIK) May 23, 2008

Hi Claudia,
I don't think it is possible to open bilingual RTF files in TagEditor. There are just two suggestions I can give you:
1. Use QA Distiller for the QA check (www.qa-distiller.com; a demo is free); RTF files are not fully supported but they usually work.

OR

2. Create a TM from the RTF you have and retranslate the original file (you can re-create it from the bilingual one) in TagEditor using Translate to Fuzzy. You will probably have to bother with some tags but that's the price to pay.

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:03
French to Polish
+ ...
If you have Word 95, it's possible... May 23, 2008

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

I don't think it is possible to open bilingual RTF files in TagEditor.

/quote]

If you use Word 95 to disable the spelling and save the file as rtf, you'll be able to open the file in TagEditor.
A warning message will be displayed but you'll be able to save the file as ttx.
Then use a honest text editor to correct the language attributes.

Of course, some formatting may be missing in Word 95.

If you haven't Word 95, you may try AbiWord.
It's just an idea, I never tested it with AbiWord 'cause I'm too lazy...

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2008-05-24 07:05]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can I open a bilingual rtf file with TagEditor to perform a QA?

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs