Thread poster: Marina Morgan
Marina Morgan
Marina Morgan
Local time: 20:21
German to English
+ ...
May 23, 2008

Hello all Trados users,

I have just installed SDL Trados 2007 Freelance and have immediately hit on a problem which is preventing me from using Trados almost completely:

I am using Word 2007 (also just installed) and have deleted (I think) all traces of my previous Trados 7 Freelance. When I try to clean my unclean document I get an error 32 saying "the process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process" and, therefore, my document remains uncle
... See more
Hello all Trados users,

I have just installed SDL Trados 2007 Freelance and have immediately hit on a problem which is preventing me from using Trados almost completely:

I am using Word 2007 (also just installed) and have deleted (I think) all traces of my previous Trados 7 Freelance. When I try to clean my unclean document I get an error 32 saying "the process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process" and, therefore, my document remains unclean.

I find this is happening in particular with documents which have graphics, pictures, etc. and are therefore, complicated in their formatting. Documents with 1-2 pages are sometimes cleaned and sometimes not.

I have tried "ending process" of Winword.exe in the Task Manager in case my computer is still "holding on" to the document after it has closed, but to no avail.

I have consulted the Solution Finder under "my support" in Trados but cannot find the remotest reference to this problem and cannot find the remotest way of contacting Trados technical service without a serviced agreement (despite the fact that their sales office insists that there is a form which can be completed - it's obviously very well hidden!).

There doesn't seem to be a previous reference in this Forum to this problem and I hope someone out there has also encountered this and has been able to solve it.
Any advice most welcome.
Marina
Collapse

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:51
German to English
Reboot your computer May 23, 2008

I've gotten this message from time to time under a variety of circumstances (saving, spell check etc.). I've found that rebooting the computer often clears up the problem. Although my problems have generally been a different from yours, I've found that saving after the first segment will let me know that there's a potential problem.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:51
English
Try this... May 23, 2008

Hello Marina,

As you know, the problem is mainly caused when the document you are trying to clean is open in another program. Have you tried after a system restart to make sure that the process is definitely not running?

Also, what document are you trying to clean? We do not support docx files and recommend you save the file as a .doc or rtf (rtf can be very large if it contains graphics) before cleaning.

One more thing, when using a new version of SDL Trad
... See more
Hello Marina,

As you know, the problem is mainly caused when the document you are trying to clean is open in another program. Have you tried after a system restart to make sure that the process is definitely not running?

Also, what document are you trying to clean? We do not support docx files and recommend you save the file as a .doc or rtf (rtf can be very large if it contains graphics) before cleaning.

One more thing, when using a new version of SDL Trados on your computer, please register the newer files to Windows. To do this please follow these instructions:

Go to Start -> All Programs -> SDL International -> SDL Trados 2007 -> Trados and then run the "Register SDL Trados 2007” .bat file (if using Vista then please right-click and choose "Run as Administrator)

I hope this helps.

Many Thanks,

Gareth Powell
Collapse

Ivana Zuppa-Baksa
Ivana Zuppa-Baksa
Croatia
German to Croatian
+ ...
In memoriam
Use Tools - go to Macro May 24, 2008

Hello Marina,

did you attempt to clean the document going to Tools, then Macro? Then write into tw4win.Clean and your document will be cleaned.
Perhaps it will help, I always clean documents in such a way.
I hope this helps.
Ivana Zuppa Bakša

Marina Morgan
Marina Morgan
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Error 32: Cannot clean document because file used by another process - suggested solutions May 25, 2008

My thanks to Ivana, Gareth and Kevin for their kind suggestions.

Alas, re-booting doesn't help (even files which have not been opened for several days do not clean), I followed the "register" procedure twice to no avail. All my documents are standard docs (not docx) and even saving specifically as .doc makes no difference.
The only suggestion I haven't tried is Ivana's suggestion of cleaning through Tools and Macro simply because I cannot find this menu item in the workbench
... See more
My thanks to Ivana, Gareth and Kevin for their kind suggestions.

Alas, re-booting doesn't help (even files which have not been opened for several days do not clean), I followed the "register" procedure twice to no avail. All my documents are standard docs (not docx) and even saving specifically as .doc makes no difference.
The only suggestion I haven't tried is Ivana's suggestion of cleaning through Tools and Macro simply because I cannot find this menu item in the workbench and since I am new to Word 2007 (which no longer has the same menu lists), I can't find it in Word either. Ivana, if you see this, please let me know where to find Macro (and does this update to TM as well?).

I must refer back to Gareth from the SDL support team who was kind enough to react : I am afraid that if this is not solved, I cannot use my Trados and would dearly like to return to my previous Trados 7 version, but unfortunately, I was forced to upgrade to Word 2007 in order to use Trados 2007 and now there is no going back!
Is this a possible "bug" in Trados 2007 which SDL should fix with a patch or similar? A colleague of mine is experiencing the exact same problem and we bought our Trados 2007 at about the same time and both upgraded to Word 2007 as well. PLEASE investigate further for us as we really have no other way out.

Many thanks again,
Marina Morgan
Collapse

Jennifer Baldwin
Jennifer Baldwin  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:51
French to English
+ ...
Running the macro manually works Jul 20, 2008

Ivana Zuppa-Baksa wrote:

did you attempt to clean the document going to Tools, then Macro? Then write into tw4win.Clean and your document will be cleaned.
Perhaps it will help, I always clean documents in such a way.

Thank you, Ivana! I was having the same problem as Marina, but this workaround works like a charm.

Is there a similar workaround for doing a pre-translate against a TM? I get the error at that step as well.

By the way, I spent a long time researching what is causing the problem. It's winword.exe that is locking the file. Rebooting doesn't help because winword's lock on the file occurs during the translate/cleanup itself. (I killed the process before each translate/cleanup to be absolutely certain.) It simply doesn't let go in time to write the new file and backup file. I installed all of the available Office and Trados patches, to no avail.

Jacques DP
Jacques DP  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to French
Had the same problem. Macro name is tw4winClean.Main Nov 30, 2008

I had the same problem several times.

From the answer given by SDL Support, it appears they have not identified the problem yet, and in fact it is still here even with SP2 (TWB 8.2.0.835).

I solved it by removing pictures, cleaning-up and reinserting the pictures, loosing hours in the process.

I was going to report on it today, and finally identified this thread, which I had initially missed, one of the reason being that the (irrelevant) error message is tr
... See more
I had the same problem several times.

From the answer given by SDL Support, it appears they have not identified the problem yet, and in fact it is still here even with SP2 (TWB 8.2.0.835).

I solved it by removing pictures, cleaning-up and reinserting the pictures, loosing hours in the process.

I was going to report on it today, and finally identified this thread, which I had initially missed, one of the reason being that the (irrelevant) error message is translated to French, which prevents searching for it in forums or elsewhere.

I tried to run the macro manually, its exact name being tw4winClean.Main in my case, and it appears to work. I wish I had thought about it at the time. Of course it won't update your TM, so if you need that you still have a problem.

Note that running a macro in Word 2007 is not obvious the first time you try to do it, when used to Word 2003 (you first need to activate a menu from the options). Just search the online help for it and you will find the procedure.
Collapse

Branka Bucconi
Branka Bucconi  Identity Verified
Croatia
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Another solution Feb 4, 2009

Hi,

I had the same problem and solved it in the following way:

Go to Workbench > Options > Translation Memory Options > Tools.

Deselect the option Keep backup and press OK.

Cleanup the file.

Remember to select the option Keep backup again, otherwise your documents will not be backed up.

I found the solution on the follow
... See more
Hi,

Cleanup the file.

Remember to select the option Keep backup again, otherwise your documents will not be backed up.

I found the solution on the following link (in Italian):

http://trados.vertere.net/blog/index.php/2009/01/errore-32-the-process-cannot-access-the-file-because-it-is-used-by-another-process/

HTH,
Branka
Collapse

Sibylle Ferner
Sibylle Ferner
Local time: 22:51
English to German
+ ...
Thank you Mar 4, 2009

Many thanks, Branka. Your suggestion worked for me.

But I am also having problems with using Trados if the text contains bullet points. This is so annoying and really puts me off using Trados at all, causing all this extra work when I'm in a hurry!

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Still working in Word? Mar 5, 2009

Sibylle Ferner wrote:

Many thanks, Branka. Your suggestion worked for me.

But I am also having problems with using Trados if the text contains bullet points. This is so annoying and really puts me off using Trados at all, causing all this extra work when I'm in a hurry!

What kind of problems?
When you switch to TagEditor no such and similar problems will occur anymore...

Paolo Troiani
Paolo Troiani  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
Thank you very much!! It worked for me as well... Jan 12, 2010

Branka Bucconi wrote:

Hi,

Cleanup the file.

http://trados.vertere.net/blog/index.php/2009/01/errore-32-the-process-cannot-access-the-file-because-it-is-used-by-another-process/

HTH,
Branka

[Edited at 2010-01-12 20:18 GMT]

Susanne Rieg (X)
Susanne Rieg (X)  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
Same Problem with Suite Jan 13, 2010

As I mentioned in another thread, I had this Problem with SDL Trados Suite on Windows 7 with Kaspersky Internet Security.

Whilst I could “save to target” in Tageditor, the “translate” and “clean up” functions in Workbench in most cases produce an error (with Word and Excel files so far). The error message is “The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process“.

As I suspected, this was caused by a setting in Kaspersky Intern
... See more
As I mentioned in another thread, I had this Problem with SDL Trados Suite on Windows 7 with Kaspersky Internet Security.

Whilst I could “save to target” in Tageditor, the “translate” and “clean up” functions in Workbench in most cases produce an error (with Word and Excel files so far). The error message is “The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process“.

As I suspected, this was caused by a setting in Kaspersky Internet Security. I had to activate all the Exceptions in "Program rules" (no checking of files, no checking of program activity...) to get Workbench to clean again. What probably happens is that Workbench tries to access a temp file that is in the process of being checked by Kaspersky (or other Virus Scanners).

Sanne
Collapse

Marina Morgan
Marina Morgan
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Error 32: Cannot clean document because file used by another process - thank you Jan 15, 2010

Thanks for a new idea

Susanne, thanks for offering a new take on this old problem. I originally posted this query quite some time ago and have seen all sorts of suggestions which only partially worked. It had never occurred to me that it may stem from the anti virus software. Will investigate further with mine and hopefully that will be the end of my worries!
Marina Morgan

Lionel_M (X)
Lionel_M (X)
English to French
+ ...
Sorry...may I ask a question ? Jan 15, 2010

Sorry to come into your topic to ask a question: does Trados v7 freelance works with Word 2007 ???
I thought it does not.

Actually I must use Word 2003 when I need to use Trados 7 freelance.

Thank you and excuse me !

Steven Beijer
Steven Beijer  Identity Verified
Dutch to English
Thank you Feb 11, 2010

Branka Bucconi wrote:

Hi,

Cleanup the file.

HTH,
Branka

Thanks a lot! You just saved me

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Error 32 : Cannot clean document because file used by another process

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »