Migrating TRADOS to a new computer
Thread poster: Vito Smolej

Vito Smolej
Local time: 14:06
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
May 28, 2008

I would appreciate some information on how to move Trados freelance 8.0 to the new host. So far I have just succeeded getting a one-month test version on the target system. I guess there must be some prescription or process to return the license to the pourchasing site and then to download it again (hopefully without losing everything on the ways).

In any case, if there's an official way for migrations, I have yet to find the documentation for it.

Thanks so much in advance and regards

Direct link Reply with quote

Marina Soldati  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:06
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
To return the license May 28, 2008

Hi Vito,

To return the license, go to Trados, License Manager, click on the View Activated Licenses button, in the box that appears choose the licence you want to deactivate and clic on Return.
On the new host, go to Trados, License Manager, clic on Activate Online.
I can´t remember whether you have to go to your account in the SDL Trados webpage to look for the number and enter it after clicking on Activate Online, but I followed this procedure when I had to reinstall the software and I didn´t loose anything in the process.
Hope this is the information you are looking for.

Åsa Campbell  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:36
English to Swedish
You can install on two computers May 28, 2008

Hi Vito,

If you would like to keep Trados on your old computer you can use the same activation code on your new computer, as long as they ar not networked together.

If you do not know your activation code, go to
logon to your account and select My licenses.

I use my license on two computers without any problems.

Hope this helps,

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Migrating TRADOS to a new computer

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Want to earn more in your spare time? Monetize your knowledge!

Do you speak one or more foreign languages? Fluency in target language + willingness & ability to help people in everyday situations could earn you $45 / hour. Download “Quiick Angel” app & become a guardian angel today

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs