Thread poster: Translavic
Translavic
Netherlands
Local time: 21:08
English to Bosnian
+ ...
May 29, 2008

Dear all,

We're having the following issue when translating FrameMaker documents into Russian in TagEditor with Trados 2007 SP2:

The Cyrillic "ja" (flipped-around R) is shown as the code , in .ttx, clean .rtf and in the TM.

The files have been converted from .fm to .mif, then to .rtf and .ttx by our client. I'm not sure about the FrameMaker version, but most likely 7.0. The files have been translated and revised externally. Most likely, the character got corrupt when the reviser cleaned up the .ttx files before sending them back to us. I'm checking now what Trados version he's working with.

Does anybody know a solution for this? And can anybody maybe advise how to prevent things like this to happen in the future? We're expecting a lot more files converted from FrameMaker soon...

Thank you very much in advance for your help!

Direct link Reply with quote

Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
This is the correct code. May 29, 2008

This code is correct, the converted MIF files will have "ya" in the appropriate places.
I have seen similar Trados behaviour for Russian, Czech and Slovak – some of the letters are replaced by codes while updating TM with TTX file. Unfortunately, it seems to be randomly connected with some Trados installations.

Global find&replace should help (but next TM update will probably again put the code into TM).

Stefan Gentz
English to German
+ ...
<:r38> tags in russian TM May 30, 2008

Rianke Lubberding wrote:
Dear all,
We're having the following issue when translating FrameMaker documents into Russian in TagEditor with Trados 2007 SP2:
The Cyrillic "ja" (flipped-around R) is shown as the code <:r38>, in .ttx, clean .rtf and in the TM.

Rianke, are you sure, you are actually working with 2007 SP2? This is a know bug in in Build 7.5.0.759. In this Build, the cyrillic small letter "ya" (я - \u044F) is written as the tw4winInternal tag <:r38> into the TM when cleaning the TTX files. In this build the only possibility is to export the TM, search for the tag, replace it with the "я" and re-import the exported file into a new TM.

Please note, that this bug has already been fixed. If you are working with 2007 SP2 you will not have this problem (of course existing TUs with the <:r38> tags will not be magically fixed, but only newly added). Please make sure to also have the latest Patch installed. I have put it on our site as talsima seems to down currently.
Also please make sure to not have 7.5.0.759 and 2007 SP2 installed parallel on one machine unless you know exactly how to "separate" both versions securely.

Kind regards,
Stefan Gentz
TRACOM OHG

Poland
English to Polish
7.5.0.759 May 30, 2008

Well, it's worth checking - is this bug affecting all installations or only some of them?

Stefan Gentz
English to German
+ ...
7.5.0.759 May 30, 2008

Wojciech, this bug was only present in 7.5.0.759.

Kind regards,
Stefan Gentz
TRACOM OHG

Translavic
Netherlands
English to Bosnian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Trados 2007 SP2: Cyrillic character changed in TagEditor and TM May 30, 2008

Hello Wojciech and Stefan,

Thank you very much for your replies. Here in the office we’re using Trados 2007 SP2. I came to the conclusion that the issue was most likely caused by our (external) reviser, who’s working with Trados 2006 (7.5). The corrupt character is probably introduced when he uses the translate or cleanup function in Trados. Until the revision step there were no problems with the TagEditor files. I did a test and cleaned the translated files myself - the character remained intact. The code first occurred in the revised versions.

Wojciech, you're saying that the code produces a correct character in MIF and FM. This would mean that we don’t have to worry about the final result, and I'm glad about that. But of course we’re looking for a solution to get and keep our TM free of . Our reviser is now searching & replacing all occurrences of the and will leave the cleanup of the TagEditor files to me.

Many thanks for your support!

Kind regards,
Rianke Lubberding

Stefan Gentz
English to German
+ ...
Better check this twice May 30, 2008

Rianke Lubberding wrote:
Wojciech, you're saying that the <:r38> code produces a correct character in MIF and FM. This would mean that we don't have to worry about the final result, and I'm glad about that.

You should test it. It depends on many factors like TRADOS build and FrameMaker build, if using <:r38> instead of the "я", really results in the expected character in FrameMaker. Also please note that it will no longer work, when the processes are updated to FM8.
It can even be, that you cannot convert the files back to MIF with this tag – it depends on your Trados version. Not all versions accept all of the <:r**> tags (besides, the <:r**> tags represent reserved characters in FrameMaker, that is, these characters are not initially intended for public use and represent special codepoints, however some of them work).

Rianke Lubberding wrote:
But of course we're looking for a solution to get and keep our TM free of <:r38>. Our reviser is now searching & replacing all occurrences of the <:r38> and will leave the cleanup of the TagEditor files to me.

Yes, that's the solution – or your reviewer also updates to a newer version of TRADOS

Kind regards,
Stefan Gentz
TRACOM OHG

[Bearbeitet am 2008-05-30 11:33]

Poland
English to Polish
Not exactly what I had on mind May 30, 2008

Stefan Gentz wrote:

Wojciech, this bug was only present in 7.5.0.759.

You mean - it will appear in all 7.5.0.759 installations, correct?

Stefan Gentz
English to German
+ ...
"<:r38> Bug" is only present in 7.5.0.759 May 30, 2008

Wojciech Froelich wrote:
You mean - it will appear in all 7.5.0.759 installations, correct?

Yes. The "<:r38> Bug" is documented and filed for Build 7.5.0.759. S-Tagger of this build should also report this as an alert.

You can setup a test files for this and provide the following string for testing purposes in the target segment of a TU:

Аа Бб Вв Гг Дд Ее Ёё Жж Зз Іі Ии Йй Кк Лл Мм Нн Оо Пп Рр Сс Тт Уу Ўў Фф Хх Цц Чч Шш Щщ Ъъ Ыы Ьь Ээ Юю Яя

If cleaning, verification in TE and S-Tagger and backward process work fine, you are good to go. However in 7.5.0.759 the last character in this string (я) should fail.

Kind regards,
Stefan Gentz
TRACOM OHG

Poland
English to Polish
And this is the Cumulative Patch 2 for SDL Trados 2006 May 30, 2008

Stefan Gentz wrote:

Yes. The " Bug" is documented and filed for Build 7.5.0.759.

It seems this is the most up-to-date build of SDL Trados 2006 (Cumulative Patch 2).
Well, does it mean we should expect one more build of SDL Trados 2006?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2007 SP2: Cyrillic character corrupt in TagEditor

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs