Thread poster: Colin Ryan (X)
Colin Ryan (X)
Colin Ryan (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:22
Italian to English
+ ...
Jun 3, 2008

Hi,
I've finally had it with Trados. The last straw was discovering I have to pay extra for technical support. I was wondering if it's possible, legally, to sell my licence? I have the dongle from 6.5 plus all the upgrades to the current Trados 2008 SP2. (Caveat emptor - there's going to be a lot of service packs released yet before Trados works properly).
So, I want to flog it but I'd like to keep on the right side of the law.
Your comments will be much appreciated.
Co
... See more
Hi,
I've finally had it with Trados. The last straw was discovering I have to pay extra for technical support. I was wondering if it's possible, legally, to sell my licence? I have the dongle from 6.5 plus all the upgrades to the current Trados 2008 SP2. (Caveat emptor - there's going to be a lot of service packs released yet before Trados works properly).
So, I want to flog it but I'd like to keep on the right side of the law.
Your comments will be much appreciated.
Colm
Collapse

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 09:22
English to French
+ ...
Contact SDL Jun 3, 2008

I read somewhere on the SDL website quite a while ago that you can transfer your license to someone else. That is, you can sell your copy of Trados, but you need to contact SDL to have them take your name off the license and add the buyer's name instead. Only then would it be lawful for the other person to install and use your old Trados.

Your safest bet here would be to contact SDL and tell them you want to get rid of your copy. In any case, you are allowed to sell any used merchan
... See more
I read somewhere on the SDL website quite a while ago that you can transfer your license to someone else. That is, you can sell your copy of Trados, but you need to contact SDL to have them take your name off the license and add the buyer's name instead. Only then would it be lawful for the other person to install and use your old Trados.

Your safest bet here would be to contact SDL and tell them you want to get rid of your copy. In any case, you are allowed to sell any used merchandise, so there certainly is a legal way to sell it. SDL should be able to tell you how.

All the best!

[Edited at 2008-06-03 16:44]
Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 16:22
English to Turkish
+ ...
similar topic posted before Jun 3, 2008

and the answer was NO

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/99509-how_to_sell_sdl_trados_2007_freelance.html#809332

By the way, what is your new CAT tool?

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 09:22
English to French
+ ...
Not allowed to sell WITHOUT SDL'S AUTHORIZATION Jun 3, 2008

Funny, in the thread linked to by Selcuk, SDL's representative says that the terms of the EULA state that you are not allowed to sell the software without SDL's authorization. Nobody posted a reply after that - I would have asked how one can go about getting said authorization. I would check this with SDL.

In a sense, if you read between the lines, they mean to make sure that both the seller and the buyer buy their copy of Trados from SDL (two sales for SDL) and to avoid that the se
... See more
Funny, in the thread linked to by Selcuk, SDL's representative says that the terms of the EULA state that you are not allowed to sell the software without SDL's authorization. Nobody posted a reply after that - I would have asked how one can go about getting said authorization. I would check this with SDL.

In a sense, if you read between the lines, they mean to make sure that both the seller and the buyer buy their copy of Trados from SDL (two sales for SDL) and to avoid that the seller sells the copy to the buyer (only one sale for SDL). In short, this translates into articifically boosting SDL's sales. But I would discuss this with them, because at that point, they are interfering with your right to sell a used good, which is probably challengeable.
Collapse

lexical
lexical  Identity Verified
Spain
Portuguese to English
why? Jun 3, 2008

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

Isn't it a bit presumptious to assume that Ryan wants one at all?

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 16:22
English to Turkish
+ ...
in my opinion Jun 3, 2008

lexical wrote:

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

In my opinion Trados is only a CAT tool, and not the one and only CAT tool. And there are many other CAT tools in the market, some of them are even better and/or cheaper.

ryancolm wrote:

I have the dongle from 6.5 plus all the upgrades to the current Trados 2008 SP2.

Well, it means long years with a CAT tool (Trados). But why should one buy updates. It is clear that he uses (and he is used to) CAT tools. If he plans to retire it is OK, then he will not need a CAT tool. But let's ask him.

Colin Ryan (X)
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
New CAT tool... Jun 4, 2008

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

lexical wrote:

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

In my opinion Trados is only a CAT tool, and not the one and only CAT tool. And there are many other CAT tools in the market, some of them are even better and/or cheaper.

ryancolm wrote:

I have the dongle from 6.5 plus all the upgrades to the current Trados 2008 SP2.

Well, it means long years with a CAT tool (Trados). But why should one buy updates. It is clear that he uses (and he is used to) CAT tools. If he plans to retire it is OK, then he will not need a CAT tool. But let's ask him.

I don't know, to be honest. Wordfast seems to be the choice for people on the rebound from Trados. But I'll take a look at other tools too. My main client uses Trados, and so I have to leave that door open in some way. But I'll worry about selling Trados first.

Colin Ryan (X)
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
a bit calmer now... Jun 5, 2008

Hi all (again),
I've cooled down a bit and I've decided to hang on to Trados, mainly because my client uses it. This is the main reason - if it were merely down to the EULA I would contest it.

I'm still thinking of getting Wordfast, though. Trados is an unmitigated, utter and total disaster of a CAT tool and I don't care who knows it. SDL, you should be ashamed of yourselves for (a) charging money for upgrades that are essentially service packs and (b) CHARGING EXTRA FOR TECH
... See more
Hi all (again),
I've cooled down a bit and I've decided to hang on to Trados, mainly because my client uses it. This is the main reason - if it were merely down to the EULA I would contest it.

I'm still thinking of getting Wordfast, though. Trados is an unmitigated, utter and total disaster of a CAT tool and I don't care who knows it. SDL, you should be ashamed of yourselves for (a) charging money for upgrades that are essentially service packs and (b) CHARGING EXTRA FOR TECHNICAL SUPPORT. What a stupid business decision: it means you get NO INPUT from thousands of PAYING CUSTOMERS that would actually help you to fix the problems in the next release! Bloody hell.

Thanks to all for your comments and advice.
Colm
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Selling TRADOS?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »