Boost your career as a professional translator!

Boost your career as a professional translator! SDL hosts a virtual conference featuring a selection of free resources to help grow your freelance business, as well as an update on the new features of the world’s most trusted translation software - SDL Trados Studio 2017

Click for Full Participation

Dongle problems (reinstalling trados 6.5.5)
Thread poster: Hellen Varela-Fdez.

Hellen Varela-Fdez.  Identity Verified
Costa Rica
Local time: 06:53
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 4, 2008

Hi!!

The computer I used at work (at the University) was changed for a new one last year, in October. The Technology Team installed Office 2007 on Windows XP. I didn't try to use my Trados 6.5. because I knew of compatibility problems.

In April 2008, I decided to go back to Office 2003. I have been trying since then to reinstall my Trados Freelance 6.5., which I did, but now the problem is that the dongle cannot be used with this computer. I installed that same Trados last year (in March) in a laptop, and I had no problems with the dongle. I just tried once more... the dongle doesn't work with my PC, but there are no problems with the laptop. Both computers run on Windows XP, with Office 2003.

The problem with the PC is that I open the Workbech, and there is a message that it would only work in demo mode. And when I insert the dongle in the USB port, it displays an Assistant for New Hardware... I follow the instructions but, of course, nothing happens!!

I read in previous forums that you need to install the dongle drivers... but I have never do that. I have installed Trados 4 times in different computers, and I have never needed to install any other driver (just the 2 cds for Trados and Multiterm).

Anyway... if I have to install a dongle driver, I will... but, where do I find the driver? I went to translationzone and now everything is about SDL Trados 2007. I cannot find information about my old Trados 6.5. and its unlucky dongle!!

I know many people are using the new Trados, and there was a deadline to upgrade or I would not be able to upgrade my Trados, never ever in my life, but I decided to stay with the 6.5 for many, many reasons.

However, I would to know if you have experienced this trouble and what was your solution, or where do I find the drivers. Any advice?

Thanks

Hellen

Direct link Reply with quote

Suzanne Blangsted  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:53
Danish to English
+ ...
dongle Jun 4, 2008

I use my dongle on the old PC through the printer port with the printer attached to the dongle (piggyback).

You could possibly get another license from DSL/Trados by e-maialing them and letting them know that the dongle don't work, or try to get a converter (USB to standard) from the electronics store.

Suz

Hellen Varela-Fdez.  Identity Verified
Costa Rica
Local time: 06:53
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What is that converter for? Jun 4, 2008

Suz:

Thanks!!

The dongle is for a USB port. And both, the PC and the laptop have USB ports. So I don't have troubles to insert the dongle on the USB port.

What is that converter you mentioned? What is it for?

Thanks!

Hellen

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dongle problems (reinstalling trados 6.5.5)

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums