Thread poster: Verdeflor
Verdeflor
Germany
Local time: 16:42
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 6, 2008

Hello Everyone:
Can someone help me, please? I'm new with Multiterm (version 7) and I've been trying for two days to convert a glosary of terms so that I can use it while translating with Trados (7 Freelance). I have managed to convert a txt file into an xml with Multiterm Convert but when I try to import it, it doesn't work.
I follow the steps in the User's Guide and the process is "successfully" completed, but with 0 entries!!!
Does anyone have an idea of what I'm doing wrong? Or any suggestion of what to do with the glosary I have so that I can use it with Trados?
Thanks in advance,
Verdeflor

Direct link Reply with quote

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Index fields definitions Jun 8, 2008

Hi,
your problem is probably related to index field names. There are two types of them:
1. Index fields names in your converted XML (they may say "English" and "Espanol" for instance);
2. Index fields names you define when selecting the languages for import in MultiTerm (they may say "English" and "Spanish").

Make sure the index fields headers in your XML are the same as those you define in MultiTerm while selecting the languages for import.
That is, if your glossary XML says "English" and "Espanol", you will have to rename the index header "Spanish" to "Espanol" in MultiTerm.

Tomás Cano Binder, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
What is the source format of the glossary? Jun 8, 2008

Can you tell us what the original format of the glossary is?

[Edited at 2008-06-08 15:19]

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
one tip Jun 8, 2008

One of the many messed up things in the multiterm import process is that you have to manually designate each and every column where your terms are as an index field. "Index field" in multiterm speak basically means "terms, not comments or definitions".
So do that in MT convert.
Then you import using the xdt or whatever definition file and it should be good.

If it's super urgent and a small file I can do it for you, otherwise keep trying and asking specific questions.

Verdeflor
Germany
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Glossary format txt Jun 8, 2008

Hello Stanislav,
Thanks for your hint. I checked and that was alright, but I found out that the glossary had no headers, so MT took the first two terms, instead of "English" and "Spanish". I repaired that and thought that the problem was solved, but... it wasn't
There is still something I am doing wrong. I have doubts when filling in one of the "pages" of Multiterm Convert, 7/10: "Create entry structure", because there are no available descriptive fields and I have no idea what I should write down or how (so I just leave it blank).

Tomás, the original glossary is a pdf document which I have transformed in txt using copy and paste (in Word).

I am thinking about editting manually the entries... that is, if I solve the next problem I have met and will expose in a new post.

Thank you very much,
Verdeflor

[Editado a las 2008-06-08 17:32]

Tomás Cano Binder, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Descriptive fields are not compulsary Jun 8, 2008

The fields that are really a must are the index fields, so if you have problems with descriptive fields and can live without them (your list of terms might not have any other details than the source and target terms), just don't add any.

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Should be no problem Jun 8, 2008

Hi Verdeflor,
if you want, convert your Word file into MS Excel (one column for each of the languages) and send the Excel file to me. I will then create a MultiTerm termbase for you.
My e-mail is orders@preklad.eu

Stanislav

Verdeflor
Germany
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Data separated by commas Jun 8, 2008

Hello Tomás, Stanislav and FarkasAndras,
First, thank you very much for your hints and help.

I already thought about doing it with Excell, but what I've got is a list of English terms and its equivalents in Spanish, separated by a comma; I have no columns and it would be the same work to copy and paste the information into excell as to edit directly the entries in MultiTerm (its only 141 terms), or do you know any other way of doing it?

Thanks again,
Verdeflor

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Pretty simple in Excel Jun 8, 2008

You have to import your DOC or CSV file into Excel and specify comma as the separator of values. See Excel Help for more info. It's hard to give any advice without having the files: sorry.

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
or... Jun 9, 2008

Alternatively, you can use MS word search and replace: replace all , with ^t and if there are no rogue commas in the text you should get a two-column table. Insert line breaks (^p) similarly if term pairs are not in separate lines now, then copy-paste into excel.

Verdeflor
Germany
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Managed with Excel and "Load existing definition file" creating TB Jun 10, 2008

Hello all of you,

Thank you very much for all your ideas.

The conversion of the doc file into the excel file was a very nice discovery.

I managed to import the entries after I ticked the option "Load an existing definition file (xdt)" when creating the new termbase. Until now I couldn't imagine I had to tick that one and I insisted on the other two.

But, of course, my sky is not completely open: when working with Translator's Workbench (in a Word document), I get the term in the termbase and the name of the termbase, instead of its equivalent (translation). Do you know why?

At least I know that I have the term in the glossary and, having spent a couple of days with MultiTerm, I have to start working... the thing is becoming urgent.

Thanks again to all of you,
Verdeflor

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Is it the language settings? Jun 11, 2008

Hello Verdeflor,

Is your language settings correct in Translators Workbench?

Open TW and go to Options -> Term Recognition Options... -> and make sure that the source and target languages are correct.

I hope this helps.

Many Thanks,

Gareth Powell

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Asking for advice on the obvious... Jun 11, 2008

Verdeflor wrote:

when working with Translator's Workbench (in a Word document), I get the term in the termbase and the name of the termbase, instead of its equivalent (translation). Do you know why?

Hi Verdeflor, I mean no offence, nor do I want to sound arrogant. But you should devote at least some time to refer to the manuals for at least some of the most obvious things and functions before you start using the software. If you buy a plasma TV, I suppose you read the manual too. And it's basically the same with a complex piece of software such as Trados.
I don't mean to discourage you from asking questions though; that's what this forum is for and about.

Best regards,

Stanislav

[Upraveno: 2008-06-11 11:53]

Verdeflor
Germany
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Language settings are OK Jun 11, 2008

Hello Gareth,
thanks for your comment. I checked the language settings, and they are alright.

You're right Stanislav. My particular problem is that I have had NO time to learn about the programme correctly and as I would have liked to and, suddenly, I found myself in the situation that MultiTerm might be of real help, so I started to use it without really knowing it and reading here and there in the Manual.

Still, I am skipping the obvious part somewhere.

Knowing that I am committing some stupid error, I would be really thankful if someone could help me.
Thank you very much,
Verdeflor

[Edited at 2008-06-11 12:23]

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Some screenshots? Jun 11, 2008

Could you attach some screenshots of...:
1) your TM settings
2) your Termbase settings
3) Term recognition settings
... please?

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problems importing xml file into a Multiterm termbase

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs