Thread poster: František Vaško

František Vaško
Slovakia
Local time: 12:57
English to Slovak
+ ...
Jun 6, 2008

I have a problem with Trados WinAlign.
I have installed Trados 2007 Pro using floating license. At the computer I work most often on (floating license server) is WinAlign working just fine. But all the other computers (with the same settings and preferences as the main computer) have problem when adding files to alignment process. This happens only when I align files where at least one file is set as Slavic (Slovak, Czech, Polish, etc.) (corrupted characters image). After running alignment process, WinAlign simply crashes.

Does anyone else encountered the same problem and found the solution?

Thanks in advance.

fv

Direct link Reply with quote

Jabberwock  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SDLX Align? Jun 6, 2008

I do not have the solution for your problem, but I would recommend trying the SDLX Align tool, available in the same package. It is much more convenient to use than WinAlign, in my humble opinion of course...

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
File name characters Jun 8, 2008

Hi František,
I suspect this won't resolve your problems, but just as a mere suggestion: try avoiding characters containing diacritics as well as space characters in names of the files you want to align.

[Upraveno: 2008-06-08 11:59]

František Vaško
Slovakia
English to Slovak
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Jun 9, 2008

Thank You, Jaroslaw and Stanislav for Your opinions.

Regarding SDLX Align - I am quite used to WinAlign and it seems to me to be more intuitive and better for my purposes than SDLX since I am always working with Trados only.. If this problem of mine persists, I would have to give it a try, I guess..

Regarding file names - I am always doing that just to prevent any possible problems but this time it has not solved my problem. Characters are corrupted no matter how I rename the file ("SK" or "1" or whatever).

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Hm... Jun 9, 2008

Hi František,
sorry I wasn't able to help you but this is probably a sort of a strange bug that I've never encountered before and that goes beyond my knowledge.
Try SDL Intl. support though.

KatiaCristina
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:57
English to German
+ ...
I have problems as well Aug 13, 2008

Hi František,

did you manage to resolve the problem?

I have a similar problem. We are also using a floating license and I simply can't align Polish files. When I drag the files under "file" into the WinAlign interface for alignment, the program doesn't recognize the Polish file.

Can that be because of the special Polish characters?

All the best,
Cristina

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados WinAlign problem

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs