Mobile menu

Unable to locate original file [name file].inx - please copy the original file into directory above
Thread poster: briski

briski  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 22:47
Italian to French
+ ...
Jun 10, 2008

I would like to make the clean up of my translated file and this is the message I receive.
I am unable to go ahead.
I am using TagEditor.

I have the original file into the directory but it isn't a file.inx (it's a file .inx.ttx)
I have never had this problem before and have now to send a bilingual file when the client asked me only target.
Is there a setting I have to enable?

I have saved the original file and the bilingual file as always but this message desn't allow me to do anything else.
I guess the file .inx is the target file but I usually save it at the end and now I can't save it anymore.

Can someone advise what to do?
Thank you

Direct link Reply with quote

avsie  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Original INX file Jun 10, 2008

Your TTX has been created using an original INX file. It's this INX file that you need to place into the directory. If your client hasn't supplied the original INX file along with the TTX file when sending it to you, I'm afraid there isn't much you can do besides requesting this INX file!

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
about inx and inx.ttx Jun 10, 2008

When working with TagEditor the original file (in this case something.inx, but it couls just as well be .rtf etc) gets a bilingual pendent of the form .ttx (or something else.rtf>.ttx) .

Now, without the original file the ???.ttx is lost. How the something.inx file could get lost, I can not say; I just know, that in my case I hapily move the ttx to the "outgoing" subdirectory without copying the something.rtf (to use my example0 as well.

Of course one could clean without moving - but then something.rtf would suddenly turn to be in the target language (sigh...)

Hope it make sense.

Vito

avsie  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Changing path manually Jun 10, 2008

There's also one thing: sometimes both original and TTX files are in the same folder but the error still pops up. It's probably because the path encoded in the TTX file's header is wrong. You can change the path manually by opening the TTX file using Notepad, changing the path in the header of the file (such as SourceDocumentPath="C:\Documents and Settings\xxxxx\Desktop\xxx.inx") and then saving the file.

[Edited at 2008-06-10 13:16]

Stefan Gentz
English to German
+ ...
Save the ttx fixed path Jun 11, 2008

Marie-Claude Falardeau wrote:
There's also one thing: sometimes both original and TTX files are in the same folder but the error still pops up. It's probably because the path encoded in the TTX file's header is wrong. You can change the path manually by opening the TTX file using Notepad, changing the path in the header of the file (...) and then saving the file.

This should not be necessary. The path is automatically fixed, if you save the ttx file. Just open the ttx file, do some "fake changes" (like insert and delete a space or so) and then save the TTX. The path in the ttx header should have been automatically adopted.

Kind regards,
Stefan Gentz
TRACOM OHG

avsie  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
My own experience Jun 11, 2008

My own experience is that sometimes, it is necessary to change it manuall, despite doing exactly what you describe

But it's a 30 seconds operation, nothing out of the ordinary!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Unable to locate original file [name file].inx - please copy the original file into directory above

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs