Regina Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:56
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Jun 10, 2008

Hi all,

I installed Trados 7 and Multiterm on my new laptop (Windows Vista Home Premium), but I can't get it started. During the process it said "Windows Registry failed", but then there was the message that it installed successfully.
I could create a memory and tried to start on a document, but no segment would open, because of the error "end of paragraph not found" I pressed enter, but it didn't help.

Does anyone have an idea what could be the problem? I was wondering whether it's Windows Vista.

I haven't entered the product key for Microsoft Office yet, but I can't imagine that is causing the failure.

Thanks a lot! Regina

Direct link Reply with quote

Mykhailo Voloshko  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 20:56
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
office Jun 10, 2008

I have Vista + Trados 7 + MS Office 2003 and everything's fine.

I don't know if Trados 7 works with MS Office 2007, but I guess the problem is with Office in your case. I would uninstall Trados and Office and then reinstall Office, register it, reinstall Trados.

Good luck!

Germany
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Reply Jun 10, 2008

Thanks a lot... I will try.... at least I know that it's not Vista now. I was considering to use the XP version, but I'm really glad there's no need to.

Annelise Meyer  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
No uninstallation required! Jun 10, 2008

Hi,

this problem happens a lot. You should find an answer here: http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/82739-33353_:_end_of_paragraph_not_found.html#658304

Good luck,

Annelise

Germany
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Reply Jun 10, 2008

Thanks a lot Annelise! I will try that right away when I get home.

I'm glad that you and office didn't say that Trados wasn't installed properly or that there is some serious problem with it. But I guess, having the Workbench and all, the actual installation went fine. I hope so. Sigh. Trados is not my friend.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Try this... Jun 11, 2008

Hello Regina,

Trados 7 is not designed to work on Windows Vista. We recommend you upgrade to SDL Trados 2007 (including Service Pack 2) to get full compatibility.

However, if it's just a Windows registry problem you’re having, you could try this:

Go to Start -> All Programs -> Trados 7 and right click on "Register Trados 7" and select "Run as Administrator". This should allow you to register your Trados 7 files to Windows.

I hope this helps.

Many Thanks,

Gareth Powell

Germany
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all! Jun 13, 2008

Thank you very much, SDL,
I didn't have the chance to try yet, but now I have a lot of options...and new hope! If the mistake is in MS Office, that should be repairable... I'll try as soon as I can.
Regina

Emilie Clément  Identity Verified
France
Spanish to French
+ ...
Any advice ? Jul 3, 2008

Hi all,

I follow on with this topic... to ask you a few more advices.
I have a new laptop (Vista + Office 2007) and installed my Trados 7 (Freelance 2006) on it. As Regina, I had two successive messages indicating first that something had failed and second that the registry was ok. Good point.
But then, as I had my old computer turning with my Trados on it, the new system detected it and told me I couldn't use two trados at the same time.
So my first question is :
- can't I work on the two laptops for a while, in order to get used to my new laptop which has many new features like Vista and Office 2007 ?
Indeed, I can't work immediatly on my new laptop as I need to familiarize me with it. So I don't want to desinstall my Trados on my old computer because I do use Trados everyday and can't take the risk to spend several days without having it working correctly on my new laptop.

Second issue :
After the installation , I could open my workbench without any problem, but the buttons to "open", "restaure translation", "close et go to the next unit", etc. do not appear on my Word 2007. So I couldn't find how to open any unit.
And so my second question :
- Is it because of the new Vista or the new Office 2007 ?
- What can I do to fiw this and make the "Trados buttons" appear ?

- Don' t I have any other solution than upgrade, as Gareth Powell from SDL said ? I already paid this software a lot when I bought it...

Thanks for your advices,
Emilie

[Edited at 2008-07-03 15:34]

Tradcore
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:56
English to Spanish
Where's my Trados bar inside Word? Jul 10, 2008

Hi Laurier-tin,

I´ve just installed Trados Freelance 2007 on a laptop with Office 2007 and I got the same problem: The Trados command bar does not appear in Word.
After reading the Trados tutorial I have found this (hope that it helps you):

Translator's Workbench and Microsoft Word communicate by means of a specially designed document template, TRADOS7.dot. This template is copied to the TT\Templates folder during installation. To make the template easily available in Word, copy it from this location to the template subfolder for Word.

To prepare Word for communication with Translator's Workbench, you must integrate the document template that you have copied into Word’s template folder. Follow these steps:

In Word, select Templates and Add-Ins from the Tools menu. The Templates and Add-ins dialog box appears.

Use the template list to add the TRADOS-Word template (TRADOS7.dot) as a global template to the standard Word template Normal.dot. To do this, click Add. The Add Template dialog box appears, listing all templates available in Word’s template folder.

If you have copied the TRADOS-Word template into this template folder, you can now select it. If not, browse to the the TT\Templates folder of your TRADOS installation and select it from there. Click OK to confirm. Word adds the TRADOS-Word template to the list of global templates and activates it.

Click OK again to confirm and return to Word, where a Workbench toolbar and a menu called Trados are added to Word’s standard toolbar section and menu bar.

Every time you start Word, you must re-activate the Translator's Workbench template by selecting Templates and Add-Ins on the Tools menu in Word and checking the item TRADOS7.dot on the Global Templates list. For this to happen automatically, copy the Translator's Workbench template to Word’s Startup folder (usually C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Startup). The template is then automatically attached as a global template. You can de-activate the template temporarily by selecting Templates and Add-Ins on the Tools menu and clearing the check box next to TRADOS7.dot. To permanently de-activate the template, delete the TRADOS7.dot file from the startup folder and re-start Word.

Notes
Translator’s Workbench 7does not support earlier versions of the TRADOS-Word template. Make sure you install TRADOS7.dot. Rename or remove earlier versions such as TRADOS7.dot, TW4Win2k.dot, TW4Win97.dot or TW4Win.dot from your computer.

Translator’s Workbench 6.5 supports Microsoft Word 2000, 2002 and 2003 in the context of the TRADOS-Word editing environment.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Does Trados not work on Windows Vista?

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs