Monica Berntsson
Monica Berntsson
Sweden
Local time: 11:22
Member (2003)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Jun 11, 2008

I have received a file in rtf format which is to be translated and delivered in that format. When I have translated three sentences I can't go on and a message appears in Trados: (352576556) Invalid RTF Format). I have received a new aligned file from the client and have created a new TM and imported the new file but the same problem occurs. Why is this?

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 10:22
German to English
+ ...
No idea Jun 12, 2008

Depending on the complexity of the document (headers/footers, formatting), you might try re-saving it from MS Word (or perhaps using the repair function), opening and re-saving it from WordPad or opening and re-saving it from OpenOffice. I get a lot of screwy RTF/Word documents from clients, and one of these steps often fixes the problem quickly.

Pavel Blann
Pavel Blann  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
SITE LOCALIZER
not found Jun 12, 2008

I didn't find the error number in the trados knowledge base. thus you should report it to sdl support, see www.sdl.com/en/support/

I assume you use sdl trados 2007 sp2, ms office 2007 sp1, and windows xp sp3. if not please state your versions.

imho, the cleanest rtfs are produced by word 97 so if you can get hold of it, open and save the file using it. versions of word after 97 ad
... See more
I didn't find the error number in the trados knowledge base. thus you should report it to sdl support, see www.sdl.com/en/support/

I assume you use sdl trados 2007 sp2, ms office 2007 sp1, and windows xp sp3. if not please state your versions.

imho, the cleanest rtfs are produced by word 97 so if you can get hold of it, open and save the file using it. versions of word after 97 add a lot of garbage, which can confuse the trados rtf filter.
Collapse

Monica Berntsson
Monica Berntsson
Sweden
Member (2003)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Vista Jun 12, 2008

I use Windows Vista.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Try this... Jun 12, 2008

Hello Monica,

I would recommend using the "Open and Repair" function in Microsoft Word. If this does not help then please copy all the text from the document and paste it into a new document, this should fix the problem.

I hope this helps.

Many Thanks,

Gareth Powell

Monica Berntsson
Monica Berntsson
Sweden
Member (2003)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Microsoft repair function Jun 12, 2008

Thanks for the advice. Where can I find Microsoft repair function?

Monica Berntsson
Monica Berntsson
Sweden
Member (2003)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Repair did not work Jun 12, 2008

It did not fix the problem. I wonder why the Toggle Tag Protection is activated and it that has anything to do with it? Someone suggested to use wordfast instead, could that be the solution?

Monica Berntsson
Monica Berntsson
Sweden
Member (2003)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Incompatibility? Jun 12, 2008

I guess that Windows Vista, Word 2007 is not compatible with Trados.

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Compatible Jun 12, 2008

Hi Monica,
SDL Trados 2007 is officially compatible with both Win Vista and Office 2007.
I would definitely try copy-pasting as suggested by Gareth, or the resaving option suggested by Kevin. One of these should do the trick.

Cheers!

Stanislav

Monica Berntsson
Monica Berntsson
Sweden
Member (2003)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Seems to work now Jun 12, 2008

After having repaired the file and converted to word file and starting a bit into the text, it seems to work now. I hope it will continue to do so all the way:-) Thanks for your help!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Invalid RTF Format

Translation news related to SDL Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »