Mobile menu

Helium and Trados: License problems?
Thread poster: jmadsen

jmadsen  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:41
Jun 12, 2008

I am working in Helium 6.1.2 with Trados 7.5.
On my stationary PC, I have had no problems at all, but when I installed the programs on my laptop, I can't make it work. Individually both Helium and Trados are working, but when I edit and leave a segment (and Trados tries to save the segment to the TM), I get the not so helpful message: An error occurred while trying to verify the license. And then the two programs won't interact. Checking the license manager, there is nothing wrong with the license, and it's not because I am running Trados on my stationary computer either.

I found a reference to a patch that might solve this, so if anyone has this patch, please contact me.

Jørgen

Direct link Reply with quote

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Connected to a LAN/DSL? Jun 12, 2008

Hi Jørgen,
the reason may be that you are connected to a LAN (or even DSL) where another instance of Trados is running. Since you have a freelance version, Trados won't allow the second instance to run.
Usually, the solution is to change your computer's Workgroup name.

TOPIC STARTER
Computers on LAN Jun 12, 2008

My computers are indeed connected to a LAN, but I have used Trados (Freelance) many times before, first on the PC and then on the laptop without problems (I just need to have one instance running at the same time). But I have never had this problem before...

Jørgen

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
SDL Trados 2006... Jun 12, 2008

Hello Jorgen,

Stanislav is correct. The SDL Trados Freelance versions are designed to be run on a standalone computer with no other users running SDL Trados on the same network. Network use would require the professional version.

However, the problem might not be caused by the network. Seeing as the problem occurs when you edit and leave a segment, and does not occur randomly, leads me to believe that it could be a Windows registry error.

Please try the following:

Please go to Start -> All Programs -> SDL International -> SDL Trados 2006 -> Trados and then run the "Register SDL Trados 2006” .bat file. Please also make sure that you have administrative rights to your PC.

I hope this helps.

Many Thanks,

Gareth Powell

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Be careful Jun 12, 2008

Jørgen Madsen wrote:

My computers are indeed connected to a LAN, but I have used Trados (Freelance) many times before, first on the PC and then on the laptop without problems (I just need to have one instance running at the same time). But I have never had this problem before...

Jørgen

As I have already written, you might be connected to the Internet via DSL and such a network may comprise several thousands of users, one of which might be using Trados Freelance as well. In this case, your instance of Trados will only run in demo mode.

TOPIC STARTER
Doesn't work... Jun 12, 2008

SDL Support wrote:

Please go to Start -> All Programs -> SDL International -> SDL Trados 2006 -> Trados and then run the "Register SDL Trados 2006” .bat file. Please also make sure that you have administrative rights to your PC.

Hello Gareth,
I already tried this, but it doesn't help (I do have administrative rights).
Besides, I can use Trados WB with Word or TE without any problems. Only the combination with Helium (calling Trados WB automatically) creates this problem. I can even open the TM I am supposed to use (not in demo mode).

I actually get the error message twice, and then I get another two error messages:
TradosGP: "Failed to initialize Trados Workbench" and TradosGP: "TradosGP.DLL: Failed to initialize Trados Workbench Server-udførelse mislykkedes" (execution failed). Maybe Helium is calling Trados WB twice or something. And again, there's nothing wrong with the license...

mirekd
English
TradosGP.dll is to be replaced Jun 12, 2008

Hi,

as you are using Helium you have to have LocStudio installed as well. Try the following: copy the file TradosGP.dll from your Helium folder (the folder you installed Helium in) and replace the same file in the LocStudio folder (the folder you installed LocStudio in).

This should help

cheers
Mirek

Annelise Meyer  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Did you install LocStudio on your computer? Jun 12, 2008

HI Jorgen,

Another cause could be that you did not install LocStudio on your computer. It has to be installed first-hand, because the instllation folder also contains the DLL Helium uses to search and save segments in a Trados TM. Hope it helps,

Annelise

TOPIC STARTER
LocStudio installed Jun 12, 2008

Hi Annelise,

Yes, LocStudio is installed. But thanks

Jørgen

TOPIC STARTER
TradosGP.dll not in the Helium installation folder Jun 12, 2008

mirekd wrote:
as you are using Helium you have to have LocStudio installed as well. Try the following: copy the file TradosGP.dll from your Helium folder (the folder you installed Helium in) and replace the same file in the LocStudio folder (the folder you installed LocStudio in).

The TradosGP.dll file is not present in the Helium installation folder, but there is one in the LocStudio installation folder. This is, btw, the same situation as on my stationary PC, and everything is working there...

Jørgen

Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
You should contact the people who sent you this job Jun 13, 2008

Hi,

Report the error to the people who sent you the Helium job and they should be able to contact then Helium support team at Microsoft.

It might be a known issue and they might be able to help you.

Daniel

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Helium and Trados: License problems?

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs