How to use "find and replace" working with Trados
Thread poster: Silvia Rebelo
Silvia Rebelo  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:10
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Jun 14, 2008

Hello everyone,

I have a question regarding Trados. In a normal word document lets imagine I have a word that I would like replaced various times in the same document. Usually I go to "Find", type in the word I want to substitute and "replace" the word one time or go to "replace all".

Now that I am using Trados with the segments, how can I do this seeing I working segment per segment.

I hope this is clear.

My knowledge of Trados is very basic at this point....

Thank you

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-06-14 13:28]

Direct link Reply with quote

Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 19:10
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
use File / Maintainance in TWB Jun 14, 2008

...Usually I go to "Find", type in the word I want to substitute and "replace" the word one time or go to "replace all" ...

Regards

Vito

English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jun 14, 2008

Hello,

Thank you very much. But if I do that, will that alteration be saved in the TM?

Eleni Makantani
Greece
Local time: 20:10
Partial member
English to Greek
+ ...
Alterations Jun 14, 2008

Dear Silvia,

The modifications of the segments will be saved in the TM when you clean up the document. I know it's a bit confusing and I, too, had the same question when I was starting up with Trados, but the answer is as simple as this.

Regards,
E.

English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jun 14, 2008

Eleni and Vito,

Thank you for your help! It is much appreciated.

Have a pleasant weekend.

Silvia

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
to clarify Jun 14, 2008

Vito suggests that you do the replacement via your TM; you can use file/maintenance to make the change and then I imagine you'll have to pretranslate your doc to make the change take effect (or choose "update document" when you do the cleanup at the end).

Eleni suggested the more pedestrian and more foolproof method: search and replace as usual, then when you're done and you do the cleanup, choose "update TM" so that your TM has the correct version.

The first is the pro method as if you go that way, any matches WB offers form now on will have the updated term.

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
word of caution Jun 15, 2008

Eleni suggested the more pedestrian and more foolproof method...

Note that in a bilingual file it's pretty difficult to avoid editing source as well - if you think it cant happen ("...it's two different languages after all and source is hidden...!" etc etc), well, let me tell you from my own experience, it does happen. And it may not get noticed until it's too late - i.e. after the TM has been compromised -.

[Edited at 2008-06-15 20:01]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to use "find and replace" working with Trados

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs