Thread poster: Ieva Englund

Ieva Englund
Sweden
Local time: 00:47
Swedish to Latvian
+ ...
Jun 15, 2008

Hello,

I choose only two language combination when installed my Trados, but now I need even the third one. I received a TM from a client, but could not open it. The program said that it does not support it as I had not chosen that language combinaton in the installation process.

Anyone knows how to change that now without running the whole installation process again?

Thanks,
Ieva

Direct link Reply with quote

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 01:47
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
New installation Jun 16, 2008

I believe you must install Tradosanew if you need more languages.
Regards
Heinrich

Maria Antonietta Ricagno  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
Yes Jun 16, 2008

I realized I needed one more language in my Trados last week, so I uninstalled it and reinstalled from scratch. I found no other way to add a fourth language to the ones already on.

Antonella

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Agree Jun 16, 2008

Yes, unfortunately, there is no other way. You will have to reinstall Trados.

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
hack, as ever, mostly for my own amusement Jun 16, 2008

If the reinstall is not feasible for some reason, you could possibly trick trados. Doing this only makes sense if you will not work regularly in the new language combination in the future.

So:
If the memory you have is tmx or txt export, you can easily change the language codes (MS Word search and replace) and import into a TM with a language combo you do have. Then translate as usual. You may have to leave the spell check for after the cleanup, but I see no big problems otherwise. In my language (Hungarian) things like numbers and quotation marks are different so you may have to edit things like these post trados. Not a big deal.

If the memory is not an export you'll need the help of some kind soul who has the right combination set up and is willing to open and export it for you.

Given that there are a million things that can wrong during a Trados reinstall I'd try to avoid it if I can.

Anyone see a snag in this?

Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
Not so easy Jun 16, 2008

FarkasAndras wrote:

Then translate as usual.

1. In case of TTX files you have to change the languages in TTX files. TagEditor cannot connect to the TM with different languages.
2. You have to watch segmentation points with more care. This feature is probably not documented, but is widely known – Trados keeps internal list of shorts for some languages (English and German for sure) and uses them as segmentation exceptions.

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Can be used Jun 17, 2008

FarkasAndras wrote:

If the memory you have is tmx or txt export, you can easily change the language codes (MS Word search and replace) and import into a TM with a language combo you do have.

I do this with TTX files if I need QA Distiller to check a language different from those I purchased. Works like a charm.

[Upraveno: 2008-06-17 08:00]

Ieva Englund
Sweden
Swedish to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
do not have Ms Word Jun 17, 2008

I am not sure I understand what you mean with search and replace here. The other problem is that I do not have MS Word, but Open Office and Doc. Writer. So something I have to reinstall, either Trados or Office.

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
no reinstall Jun 17, 2008

Ieva Valaine wrote:

I am not sure I understand what you mean with search and replace here. The other problem is that I do not have MS Word, but Open Office and Doc. Writer. So something I have to reinstall, either Trados or Office.

I'm sure OO also has a "search and replace all" feature so don't worry about installing word. If it doesn't, install word because you shouldn't live without a proper search and replace function:)

What I mean is that the TM exports are pretty simple text files and you can do pretty much any modification with them easily. A Trados txt export looks like this:

13052008, 12:00:00
FA
Nice classification class list
Paints, varnishes, lacquers;
Festékek, kencék, lakkok;

(TRU)
(CrD)13052008, 12:00:00
(CrU)FA
(Txt L=Dokumentum)Nice classification class list
(Seg L=EN-GB)preservatives against rust and against deterioration of wood;
(Seg L=HU)rozsdagátló és fakonzerváló szerek;
(/TrU)

That's 2 TUs from a memory of mine. Tags in order mean: new TU; creation date; created by; additional info; english text; hungarian text; TU ends here.

EDIT: the forum recognizes the TM's tags as HTML tags and messes up my TM example. It contains simple codes like "TrU" "Seg L=EN-GB" in angled brackets. In the second TU I put in normal brackets to make sure you can all see the tags.

So what you do is you search and replace all "(angled bracket)Seg L=HU(angled bracket)" with "(angled bracket)Seg L=ES(angled bracket)" to make this an English-Spanish memory. (ES might not be the correct language code, and it is important to get the code exactly right. Just look it up in an export of one of your own TMs.)
Then save the whole thing as an ANSI encoded txt and import as usual.

This sort of editing allows you to correct errors, add descriptive fields like the name of the source document, change the "created by" information etc.

Tmx's are very similar, too.

[Edited at 2008-06-17 12:01]

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Use a different word processor Jun 17, 2008

Ieva Valaine wrote:

You can use Notepad or Writer instead. There, just press CTRL+H to call the Search and Replace function.

Peter Moor
United States
Local time: 18:47
Dutch to English
+ ...
5 languages... Aug 25, 2010

I understand SDL allows five (5) total languages to be installed, but only at installation time. Install fewer or want to change (source only?) languages down the road...you have to reinstall the software. Am I right? Another one of SDL's quirks?
A few questions:

1. Does this go for all SDL Trados versions? I have Studio 2009 SP2 and (if I get to install it correctly) Trados 2007 Suite Freelance.

2. When uninstalling, do I have to install all SDL applications, i.e. Passolo, etc.?

3. Do all English permutations count as ONE language (GB, US etc.) or not? Same with Dutch (NL, FL, Afrikaans)?

4. Can I buy more than five languages or do I have to get a different version?

Thans for your help in advance...

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Member (2009)
French to German
+ ...
Languages in Studio Aug 25, 2010

Hi Peter

I think, I can answer your questions as follows:

1. Studio 2009 Freelance behaves different in the way that it requires you to select exactly 5 languages at install time, even if you don't need all of them. This means that you only need to reinstall if you need a language which you did not select during the initial installation.

2. No, only Studio, the others are separate applications.

3. Language variants count as one language, so if you install German, you can use DE-DE, DE-CH, DE-LU, etc.

4. You cannot buy extensions. If you need more than 5 languages, you need the Professional version.

Walter

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to add new languages to Trados?

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs