TM containing invalid Chinese characters
Thread poster: Carolyn Chen
Carolyn Chen
Local time: 22:51
English to Chinese
+ ...
Jun 17, 2008

Problem: invalid Chinese characters in TM
My computer: windows XP, German language setting, use IME 3.0 to type traditional Chinese characters
CAT tool: trados freelance 7

I had to translate an English manual into Chinese using the TM from the customers. By using Tag Editor, I had no problem typing in traditional Chinese characters. As I had to translate the same sentence again, the TM found the exact sentence I translated and saved into the TM 2 minutes ago. But the sentence contained only invalid Chinese characters. And this happened only to the sentences I translated and saved into the TM. There seems to be some problem with the language setting. I appreciate your help!

Direct link Reply with quote

Rob Albon  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:51
Japanese to English
+ ...
Similar problem Jun 17, 2008

I had a similar problem, I was trying to translate English>Traditional Chinese and I had a huge hassle wit unrecognized characters. I tried using simplified characters and also Japanese characters, and the Japanese characters were recognized.

I later discovered that I had the memory set for Chinese>English instead of English>Chinese, check that maybe?

It also seemed like even though the characters appeared as just dots, when I cut and pasted in another document, they came out ok.

You might try creating a new TM and re-processing the uncleaned file. THat might work.

Worst case, if it is only a few characters, use google to put them into a different character set (Japanese, for example) and see if that works.

Good luck!

[Edited at 2008-06-17 23:58]

Carolyn Chen
Local time: 22:51
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
corrupted Chinese characters in TM Aug 7, 2008

Thanks for the reply! After having problems running the TM from the client, I have tried to create my own TMs using other texts on my computer. And the result? Everything worked out fine! There was no single corrupted Chinese character in my TM. That means that either the language setting of my TM is different from the one from the client's side or TMs containing Chinese characters generally do not work 100% on a non-Chinese operating system. Anyway, at the end I did not get the entire translation project due to the TM problem. And I still do not now where the problem really is So any advice is welcome!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TM containing invalid Chinese characters

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs