Mobile menu

TM containing invalid Chinese characters
Thread poster: Carolyn Chen
Carolyn Chen
Local time: 14:47
English to Chinese
+ ...
Jun 17, 2008

Problem: invalid Chinese characters in TM
My computer: windows XP, German language setting, use IME 3.0 to type traditional Chinese characters
CAT tool: trados freelance 7

I had to translate an English manual into Chinese using the TM from the customers. By using Tag Editor, I had no problem typing in traditional Chinese characters. As I had to translate the same sentence again, the TM found the exact sentence I translated and saved into the TM 2 minutes ago. But the sentence contained only invalid Chinese characters. And this happened only to the sentences I translated and saved into the TM. There seems to be some problem with the language setting. I appreciate your help!


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Rob Albon  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:47
Japanese to English
+ ...
Similar problem Jun 17, 2008

I had a similar problem, I was trying to translate English>Traditional Chinese and I had a huge hassle wit unrecognized characters. I tried using simplified characters and also Japanese characters, and the Japanese characters were recognized.

I later discovered that I had the memory set for Chinese>English instead of English>Chinese, check that maybe?

It also seemed like even though the characters appeared as just dots, when I cut and pasted in another document, they came out ok.

You might try creating a new TM and re-processing the uncleaned file. THat might work.

Worst case, if it is only a few characters, use google to put them into a different character set (Japanese, for example) and see if that works.

Good luck!

[Edited at 2008-06-17 23:58]


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Carolyn Chen
Local time: 14:47
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
corrupted Chinese characters in TM Aug 7, 2008

Thanks for the reply! After having problems running the TM from the client, I have tried to create my own TMs using other texts on my computer. And the result? Everything worked out fine! There was no single corrupted Chinese character in my TM. That means that either the language setting of my TM is different from the one from the client's side or TMs containing Chinese characters generally do not work 100% on a non-Chinese operating system. Anyway, at the end I did not get the entire translation project due to the TM problem. And I still do not now where the problem really is So any advice is welcome!

Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TM containing invalid Chinese characters

Advanced search


Translation news related to SDL Trados





Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »



All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs