SDLX 2007: Wingding characters not managed in ITD source language
Thread poster: Vilma Zamboli

Vilma Zamboli
Local time: 14:22
English to Italian
+ ...
Jun 17, 2008

Hi to every one,
We are upgrading HTML files (help files) coming from Robohelp 7. These file came previously from Robohelp X5, as a result of an import of MS Word files.

In the past we used the old SDLX 4.2.1 to manage translations and it was capable to show in the source language all the strange characters as '—', or '►' or '±' or '÷' and so on, coming from the original Word files. So the translation from Italian to English was fine and the export, too.

Now we upgraded from RHX5 to RH7 but in terms of HTML code they promise that now the code is more clean. In any case I can see perfectly in HTML files all these strange characters.

Then we upgrade from SDLX 4.2.1. to SDLX 2007. We still use the HTML filter, because only in this case we can have the 100% match on the porevious transaltions.

The problem is when we import, as usual, the files in SDLX. It seemd that it cannot recognize those characters and it shows different characters as "V=0.281àVal=281" instead of "V=0.281->Val=281"
where '->' is the Windings character Hex 00E0 or decimal 224. How may I say to SDLX to consider those Windings characters?
In the HTML code I see:

The problem is quite heavy because we have thousand of memory segments that now become fuzzy because of this strange management of chars.
Thank in advance,

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Pls check the entity settings in your filter Jun 18, 2008

Looks like your filter is set not to interpret entities of this kind.
I'm not familiar with SDLX, but something similar could have happened in Trados.
After changing the filter settings you will have to rereead the original files in order to let the changes take effect.

Tomasz Ratajczak  Identity Verified
Polish to Swedish
+ ...
Unicode? Jun 18, 2008

Are you using Unicode (UTF-8) when you cearte a project?

Vilma Zamboli
English to Italian
+ ...
Unicode in HTMl file, but the prblem with Wingdings is still there Jun 21, 2008

Thank you Tomasz and Jerzy.
In fact in the Robohelp 7 file I have (charset=utf-8) at the beginning of files, while Robohelp X5 has (charset=windows-1252).

After having realized that, in SDL Project Import Wizard, Languages tab, I changed the charset for the Source language (in my case is Italian) while I did not changed the default for English (target). In fact I've seen that while exporting the translation you can tell SDLX to use the same charset in source files.

Te result was fine for all the accented characters. But the problem is still there for:
- Wingdings char
- Symbol char

My fear is that HTML code is not very clean, due to historical imports (Word>RHX5>RH7).

For example if I preview the current HTML file (unicode) in Internet Explorer I see:
V=0.281->Val=281 (where -> in reality is the wingding code, but here I cannot show it)
If I open the same file in FireFox, I see;

If I open the file in an Editor, I see, please change () with :
V=0.281(span lang=FR style="font-family: Wingdings;")à(/span)(i)Val(/i)=281

And in fact V=0,281àVal=281 is the same thing I see in SDLX Editor...
Anyu other idea a part changing all symbols and Wingdings?

Thank you a lot

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDLX 2007: Wingding characters not managed in ITD source language

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados PDF Translation
Fast and Reliable PDF Translation - reduce your workload while maintaining quality

Unlock the potential of PDFs, taking your original PDF, replacing the text with your translations from your preferred tools and in minutes, get a high quality, ready-to-use, translated PDF. Try it now - your first 50 pages are free.

More info »
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs