Thread poster: Rob Albon

Rob Albon  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:10
Japanese to English
+ ...
Jun 17, 2008

Hello,
I'm trying to translate a table of contents in Word using Trados 2007.

Trados will not open up translation segments in the table of contents.

Thanks or any help,
Rob

Direct link Reply with quote

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 06:10
Partial member
Spanish
+ ...
TOCs don't need to be translated Jun 18, 2008

Since all the contents of the TOC will be translated in the body of the document, and they're indexed anyway, you don't need to translate it yourself. As a matter of fact, you shouldn't (you can't). Once you're done with the translation, right click on the TOC and select Update. The TOC will be updated with your translation automatically.

Good luck,

Claudia

[Edited at 2008-06-18 03:43]

United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved Jun 18, 2008

Claudia Alvis wrote:

Since all the contents of the TOC will be translated in the body of the document, and they're indexed anyway, you don't need to translate it yourself. As a matter of fact, you shouldn't (you can't). Once you're done with the translation, right click on the TOC and select Update. The TOC will be updated with your translation automatically.

Good luck,

Claudia

[Edited at 2008-06-18 01:43]

Thanks, it worked. I wish I had asked sooner, as the last one I did manually...

Jack Qin  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 19:10
English to Chinese
+ ...
Thanks Claudia Jun 18, 2008

I also did manually before. Now with the help of you, this sort of job seems to be much easier.

Many thanks,

Jack

Claudia Alvis wrote:

Good luck,

Claudia

[Edited at 2008-06-18 01:43]

Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 13:10
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Note added ... Jun 18, 2008

What I usually do first with a working copy of the document

1. I eliminate pictures and images
2. I delete Index & Contents summaries
3. If there's a lot of footnotes, I may put them away in a separate file (they are a bother)

This way I can translate the bulk of the text without being dragged down by the word bloat. Of course the final version of the translation MUST be done using the original, unedited document.

United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Aren't you only postponing work at the cost of extra steps? Jun 18, 2008

Vito Smolej wrote:

What I usually do first with a working copy of the document

1. I eliminate pictures and images
2. I delete Index & Contents summaries
3. If there's a lot of footnotes, I may put them away in a separate file (they are a bother)

This way I can translate the bulk of the text without being dragged down by the word bloat. Of course the final version of the translation MUST be done using the original, unedited document.

I can understand your reasoning, but it is an extra step, and you are only postponing work that wll have to be done in the end anyway.

Incidentally, how do you insure that the customer is charged for text in tables, text boxes, headers, footers, etc?

Word does not always pick them up, or does not seem to.

THanks,
Rob

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating Word Table of Contents in Trados

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs