Thread poster: Sara Fantasticini
Sara Fantasticini  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 06:54
German to Italian
+ ...
Jun 18, 2008

Hi everybody,
I apologize if there is already a topic about this issue, I tried searching in the forum but I couldn't find anything.

I have a TM (German > Italian) that I should use to extract terminology with Multiterm Extract. When I started the automatic extraction process, a warning message popped up saying that some of the target segments were in a different language. This seems weird since the memory should be German > Italian, maybe there is something wrong with the settings, but I am not totally sure since I am not the author of the TM.

What I would like to know is: is there a fast way to find these segments and - if they are in Italian - correct the language setting, or should I check the tags of each segment by opening the TM in a text editor? I hope there is a faster way to do it, since the TM is rather large!

Thanks a lot for any ideas or suggestions!

Sara

Direct link Reply with quote

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
you were on the right track there Jun 18, 2008

I don't know about the actual problem but finding out of some TUs are incorrectly language-tagged is easy.
Export, open in a text editor and

1) If you know what the supposed intruder language is, search for the its language tag.
2) If you don't, search and replace Seg L=DE and Seg L=IT (language codes are guesses), and replace them all with, say, ***germansegment*** and ***italiansegment***.
Then you can do a search for Seg L= and see if there are any TUs left with a different language code. Change these with S&R, then change german and italian back and done.

Do the replacements in Word, not in Notepad. Notepad is painfully slow at big S&R operations in long texts.

Whew, typing it out took about 5x longer than doing it would take.

Sara Fantasticini  Identity Verified
Italy
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER

Thanks a lot FarkasAndras, that should do the trick!

EDIT: I tried doing as you suggested and I couldn't find any other language tag (all target segments are tagged as Italian)! Then I wonder where that warning message came from...

[Modificato alle 2008-06-18 15:03]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Different target languages in a TM

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs