Thread poster: xxxAntti Autio
xxxAntti Autio  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 02:20
English to Finnish
+ ...
Jun 18, 2008

Hello colleagues,
just a quick cry for help: I discovered today that the Word spell checker plugin has, for some reason, vanished from my TagEditor. No changes have been made to the system, and I remember using it a month or two ago with no problems. I'm running SDL Trados 8 SP 2 and Microsoft Office 2003 Pro on Windows XP Home. Spell checking works in Word. I have repaired and reinstalled both Trados and Office, but the problem persists. Has this happened to anyone else..?

Best regards,

Antti Autio
Oulu, Finland

Direct link Reply with quote

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 01:20
English to Czech
+ ...
What is exactly is the problem? Jun 18, 2008

Hi Antti,
have you checked that the Word Spelling Checker plugin is selected in the TE Plug-ins menu? I know my question may sound stupid but sometimes you can't see the obvious.
If this is not the problem, can you describe what exactly is going on if you try using the spelling checker?

Finland
English to Finnish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Re: What is exactly is the problem? Jun 18, 2008

Hello Stanislav,
the problem is that the Word Spelling Checker no longer appears in the Plug-ins menu at all The Spelling section of the menu has only one option available (WinterTree).

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Try registering... Jun 19, 2008

Hello,

It seems that you need to register your new SDL Trados 2007 files to Windows by running the following file:

Please go to Start -> All Programs -> SDL International -> SDL Trados 2007 -> Trados and then run the "Register SDL Trados 2007” .bat file.

Note for all: Please do this whenever you are switching from using one version of Trados to using SDL Trados 2007. Also, if you are using Windows Vista then you will need to right click on "Register SDL Trados 2007" and select "Run as Administrator" from the menu.

I hope this helps.

Many Thanks,

Gareth Powell

Finland
English to Finnish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Re: Try registering... Jun 19, 2008

A very promising suggestion (I had not run the registration earlier) but, alas, no help: the Word spell checker plug-in did not reappear.

As I mentioned, the plug-in has worked before, even after the SDL Trados 2007 SP2 upgrade, but seems to have vanished since the last time I did any work with TagEditor, the only software affected by this problem.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Is Word working? Jun 19, 2008

Hello Antti,

Is the spellchecker in Microsoft Word working? SDL Trados 2007 relies on the Word spellchecker. If it is not working then it will have this kind of affect.

Also, please make sure that you have the following file in the correct location:

Location: C:\Program Files\SDL International\T2007\TTC:\Program Files\SDL International\T2007\TT

Filename: Trados.Interop.SpellChk.dll

Also, delete the Plugins folder from your registry and then reregister (as described in my previous post). Please follow these instructions:

1. Close TagEditor
2. Go to Start -> Run and type regedit
3. Locate the following folder: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Trados\TagEditor\Plugins and delete the Plugins folder.
4. Register SDL Trados 2007 again
5. Open TagEditor

I hope this helps.

Many Thanks,

Gareth Powell

Finland
English to Finnish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Re: Is Word working? Jun 19, 2008

Hello Gareth,
thanks for the tips again. The file is there (version 1.0.0.0), and I did the re-registration thing. The problem, however, remains unchanged

Spell checking works in Word; I use it all the time for translating with Trados/Wordfast/Logoport etc. TagEditor seems to be the only affected program. I use it rarely, but I distinctly remember the spelling feature did work in TagEditor for a job in April, and I cannot remember installing any major upgrades since then. Now, starting a new TagEditor job a couple of days ago, I noticed the plug-in was gone from the list. A total mystery. WinterTree is available and works as usual (i.e. not too well for Finnish).

I will now be away until Monday, but will return to the battlefield then Have a good weekend everyone!

Best regards,

Antti Autio
Oulu, Finland

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
The worst case Jun 19, 2008

Hi Antti,
if the Word spelling checker does not appear in the Plug-ins menu at all, I'm afraid that's the worst case.
The only advice I can give you is to reinstall both MS Office and Trados (in this order).

Cheers!

Stanislav

Finland
English to Finnish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Even worse Jun 25, 2008

Hello all!
Apparently it is even worse: I did a complete reinstall of Office 2003 and SDL Trados 2007 (in that order), but the problem persists. The Word plug-in does not appear in the menu in TagEditor. Spelling works fine in other applications. This is becoming desperate...

Best regards,

Antti

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TagEditor Word spell checker plugin mysteriously lost

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs