Problem with conversion from Trados 7 to 6.5
Thread poster: Domenica Nieddu

Domenica Nieddu  Identity Verified
United States
English to Italian
+ ...
Jun 22, 2008

Hello,

A colleague with whom I am working on a project exported for me a Trados memory (she has version 7) into a .txt file so that I could create a new memory for Trados 6.5 (my version). But now all the Italian accents are messed up in the new memory that I created. Would the problem be solved if she exports into a TMX 1.1 or 1.4 file? She is not working today and I can get the new export file tomorrow but I am not sure if that would make any difference. Could you suggest a solution? The memory is very big and I do not want to correct all the Italian accents one by one. Thanks, Domenica

Direct link Reply with quote

Marina Soldati  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 04:16
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Two options Jun 22, 2008

Hi Domenica,

You can ask your colleague to export the tm and in the dialogue box Create Export File, in the drop down list at the bottom of the box (Type, I think, mine is in Spanish) choose Translator Workbench (2x/6x) (*txt).

Or, you can try now opening the txt file you´ve got with Notepad, go to File, Save as, and in Type of encoding choose ANSI and save the file to another folder. Then try importing this ANSI file into an empty TM and see what happens.

I think this last procedure will solve your problem, at least it does in Spanish.

Regards,
Marina

[Edited at 2008-06-22 20:04]

[Edited at 2008-06-23 11:47]

Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 09:16
English to Polish
TMX Jun 23, 2008

You can also use TMX format, which is the least problematic format (it was designed to exchange TMs between different systems).

Sonja Biermann  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:16
English to German
+ ...
Freeware Tool Olifant Jun 23, 2008

Hallo Domenica,

You could try this freeware tool (ZIP file 317 KB):

Olifant (Beta)

Olifant is a translation memory editor. This .NET application allows you to open TMs in different formats to add, delete, or modify the translation units. It offers sorting and filtering mechanisms and many other functions.

Download
http://www.translate.com/technology/tools/Olifant.html

I use it whenever I have to convert a TM.

Kind regards

Domenica Nieddu  Identity Verified
United States
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to all Jun 23, 2008

Dear colleagues,

Thanks a lot for all your excellent posts. I ended up using Marina's suggestion of saving the .txt as ANSI and it has worked beautifully. Kind regards, Domenica

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem with conversion from Trados 7 to 6.5

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs