https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/108785-question_about_current_group_buy_sdk_multiterm_2007_extract.html

Question about current group buy (SDK MultiTerm 2007 Extract)
Thread poster: MGL
MGL
MGL  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 19:37
Russian to English
Jun 26, 2008

I apologize in advance if this question seems silly!

Does SDL Multiterm 2007 Extract, included in the current TGB package, also work the way MultiTerm XL does, i.e., can you use it to compile a glossary, or do you need OTHER software for that?

I'm picturing it this way: you would use Extract to view and verify the terms you want in your glossary, but then you would need MultiTerm to actually compile and access the glossary.

Or does this version combine both
... See more
I apologize in advance if this question seems silly!

Does SDL Multiterm 2007 Extract, included in the current TGB package, also work the way MultiTerm XL does, i.e., can you use it to compile a glossary, or do you need OTHER software for that?

I'm picturing it this way: you would use Extract to view and verify the terms you want in your glossary, but then you would need MultiTerm to actually compile and access the glossary.

Or does this version combine both of those functions into one package?

And, is it Vista compatible? The link I found online does not indicate that it is...

(gee I hope I'm making sense...)

[Edited at 2008-06-26 13:49]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-06-26 16:51]
Collapse

ghislandi
ghislandi  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:37
English to Italian
Info from SDL Trados Jun 27, 2008

Hello,
I work for SDL Trados.

There are 2 extractions tools included in the CCM Package.

SDL MultiTerm Extract which will uses a statistical algorithm to extract terminology from either monolingual docs, or bilingual files as well.

You will have then a database which you can import directly in SDL MultiTerm (from MultiTerm extract).
You will then manage the glossary throuogh SDL MultiTerm + use it during translation.

I hope this hel
... See more
Hello,
I work for SDL Trados.

There are 2 extractions tools included in the CCM Package.

SDL MultiTerm Extract which will uses a statistical algorithm to extract terminology from either monolingual docs, or bilingual files as well.

You will have then a database which you can import directly in SDL MultiTerm (from MultiTerm extract).
You will then manage the glossary throuogh SDL MultiTerm + use it during translation.

I hope this helps.

Regards
Massi

PS. We also include SDL PhraseFinder - which uses a linguistical algoithm to extract terminology.
Collapse

MGL
MGL  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Russian to English
TOPIC STARTER
ok Jun 27, 2008

I guess I should better phrase my question then:

Is SDL Multiterm included in the CCM package?
It looks like it is on the Trados websites (SDL Trados + SDL Extract + SDL Multiterm) but the way it is written on the ProZ TGB page is a little confusing (SDL Trados + SDL Multiterm Extract).

dgonneau
dgonneau  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
is there multiterm or not ? Jun 28, 2008

so ? anyone know if multiterm is included in this version ?
I'm starting to be very hesitant to buy trados, compared to a free full featured and more modern translation environment like across ...

[Edited at 2008-06-28 14:12]

MGL
MGL  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Russian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Hi David Jun 28, 2008

I did find a couple of links on the translationzone pages that say that Multiterm is bundled with SDL Trados 2007.

I am actually downloading the products now, so I should be able to confirm this later today (either that, or cry and cry.... )

MGL
MGL  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Russian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Well Jun 28, 2008

It does include MultiTerm, but now it seems that either I have done something wrong during the installation, or they do not include a license for the Extract component of the CCM Suite, which I would find extremely misleading.

The license manager function says I have a license for MultiTerm Extract, and yet, when I click on the Extract function I am told no license can be found.

I sincerely hope the error was mine and is fixable.

dgonneau
France
English to French
+ ...
update ? Jun 30, 2008

any luck with the license ?
I start to realize why so many people are criticizing trados and why it is sold at 70% of the price... It is really user unfriendly, over priced and way too complicate to install...
I'm also wondering if this big price sale is not meaning that there will be a newer version soon...
good luck with everyone who bought this software. I - for myself - just received my free license for across, and it's a fine piece of software, more robust(based on rdbm s
... See more
any luck with the license ?
I start to realize why so many people are criticizing trados and why it is sold at 70% of the price... It is really user unfriendly, over priced and way too complicate to install...
I'm also wondering if this big price sale is not meaning that there will be a newer version soon...
good luck with everyone who bought this software. I - for myself - just received my free license for across, and it's a fine piece of software, more robust(based on rdbm system : sql server), everything in one software and not split in several like trados, and didn't gave meny trouble at installation. SDL should be careful or they'll get eaten one day by the newcomers.
Collapse

MGL
MGL  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Russian to English
TOPIC STARTER
All systems go Jun 30, 2008

*whew*

Well my inbox contained the solution this morning. SDL had responded to my query and said that there were some licensing problems over the weekend, and they had fixed everything by the time I got up this morning.
I reinstalled a new activation code, and they had arranged for a separate license for the Extract component.

I know Trados gets a lot of flak, and frankly I think it sucks royally that they charge such insane amounts of money for the product, and t
... See more
*whew*

Well my inbox contained the solution this morning. SDL had responded to my query and said that there were some licensing problems over the weekend, and they had fixed everything by the time I got up this morning.
I reinstalled a new activation code, and they had arranged for a separate license for the Extract component.

I know Trados gets a lot of flak, and frankly I think it sucks royally that they charge such insane amounts of money for the product, and then to boot charge a fee for support beyond installation and licensing issues.

However, I have used only Trados since I began using CAT tools. It's what I am "used to," so that may discredit my opinion to some. I am comfortable with the interface and it does everything I need it to do (and probably more, since I'm relatively sure I haven't been using all of the features). And Extract makes me tingly all over.

In all of these years that I have been using Trados, I have never had to ask for support with anything other than licensing or installation issues, and that now makes two times over the course of about 8 years. Each time their response has been quick and courteous.

I will let everyone who has experience working with Trados and other CAT tools duke it out over which one is the best. My experience is one-sided but I'm pretty satisfied as it is.

That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.
Collapse

dgonneau
France
English to French
+ ...
yey ! Jul 1, 2008

glad everything worked out for you.
But SDL should really pay more attention to modernize the way their app look and how they install...
Trados synergy is a good start and feels already like something to reorganize everything under a single app. I hope they'll continue to improve ! (they sure can hire some developers with all the money they get)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Question about current group buy (SDK MultiTerm 2007 Extract)

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »