Anchored objects disappearing in InDesign CS2?
Thread poster: Wojciech Froelich

Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 09:03
English to Polish
Jun 30, 2008

Input: InDesign CS2 INX files
Tool: SDL Trados 2007 SP2 + all hotfixes

Some of the elements in InDesign file are not visible in the final INX file (when opened in InDesign). The funny thing is that I can see these segments in TTX file and I can see them in the INX file (when displaying INX as the text file). I have noted these elements are Anchored Objects in InDesign. Has anybody experienced similar Trados behavior?

Thanks in advance,
Wojtek

Direct link Reply with quote

S_Angel  Identity Verified
Italy
German to Italian
+ ...
An idea... Jun 30, 2008

I don't know if this is the case, but some elements are moved at the start of the translated file when imported into InDesign and need to be moved to their original position.
Hope this helps.

Poland
English to Polish
TOPIC STARTER
I guess they would be found by InDesign Search function :( Jun 30, 2008

S_Angel wrote:

I don't know if this is the case, but some elements are moved at the start of the translated file when imported into InDesign and need to be moved to their original position.
Hope this helps.

Thanks for the tip, I have tried to find these translated elements using regular InDesign Search feature, but with no luck

Jabberwock  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
Yep... Jun 30, 2008

Yes, had the same problem:

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/68702-picture_captions_not_read_from_inx_files.html

I have managed to isolate the faulty frame with the caption which did not import correctly and sent it to SDL Support. They promised to look into it, however, never heard from them (in spite of inquries).

Unfortunately, I have not found any solution and I had little time - I had to copy and paste all the objects (ouch!).

Poland
English to Polish
TOPIC STARTER
Mine is a little bit different :) Jun 30, 2008

Seems that mine is a little bit different I can see the text from INX file, the text can be translated, it can be found in translated INX files, but after opening the INX file in InDesign the boxes are gone.

[Edited at 2008-06-30 13:59]

Jabberwock  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
DejaVuX? Jun 30, 2008

Oh, sorry...

Should have read more carefully...

But I remembered something else: long after I had delivered the translation I have asked a friend to import the faulty INX file into DejaVuX - it worked OK. Maybe it would be worth a try?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Anchored objects disappearing in InDesign CS2?

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums